Chapter 26

I stare numbly at the TV screen on the other side of the room and remember the image of a dark skinned man sat at Paylor's desk with the rose garden behind him. Why would he phone me, how does he even know I'm here?

"What do you want?"

"I wanted to apologise Katniss. For what happened to Peeta, it was a mis-judgment from one of my people No one was supposed to get hurt. Especially not you two.

"What do you mean you want to apologise, haven't enough people died since you started your uprising!"

He sighs "Katniss, Katniss, Katniss. You're missing the bigger picture here. The districts, the people, their all just pawns in a much larger game. You and Peeta are the only important players, whoever controls you, controls Panem. And so you see, killing you or Peeta is not in my interests, I need you to help me push through with the uprising and depose Paylor from her seat.

"You're crazy, we'll never join you"

"We'll see. Tell me, have you ever asked yourself the question as to why Paylor let district 12 starve? Have you ever wondered what was her reasoning behind it?"

"Go on" I answer, my curiosity brewing.

"Well, here it is, she was going to run it down, close it, destroy it, whatever you want to call it"

"Really, and how would you know all this?"

"Because it's what I would of done if I was her. In my eyes 12 is nothing. The coal seams are shut down and closed and all it can do is turn out low grade medicines from a single factory. Believe me, 12 has no future"

Just then my front door opens and Haymitch walks in. He see's me on the phone and goes to speak but a put a finger to my mouth to silence him. I need to let Haymitch know who I'm talking to.

"Okay Odin, what other interesting facts can you tell me" I ask sarcastically.

Haymitch's jaw drops opens in shock.

"Only that the other plan I have is to bring back the Games. If Paylor and I are like minded, don't be surprised if she's planning the same"

"Don't be stupid, why would she?"

"Think Katniss, you'll figure it out. But for now go back to Peeta, your mother's preparing to revive him. Oh and say Hi to Haymitch for me, I know he's there"

"Goodbye"

And with that the line goes dead with a click.

Haymitch looks at me shocked

"You've got to be kidding?" he says

I hold my finger to my lips to silence him and nod toward the door. We both walk out into the street, walking back toward the mines. I can see Haymitch glancing at me, waiting for an explanation. Once we reach the barracks I stop and face him.

"How did he know I was there Haymitch, how did he know you were there for that matter?"

"What do you mean?"

"Things he said, things he knew. He mentioned things about Paylor, and then he mentioned....."

"Mentioned what Katniss?"

"Peeta, he said that my mother would be bringing him round soon, and that I should go back to him"

Haymitch takes my hand and leads me to the nearest hovercraft. We walk up the loading ramp, through the ship and into the pilots cockpit. The captain's seated at the controls flicking through some paperwork.

"Captain, I need you to get in contact with district 13 command immediately!"

The captain turns to object until he recognises Haymitch.