Chapter 36

I tell Plutarch everything. From the drink I took from the mayor's aid to the conversation I had with Wolfe in the rest room. The only thing I leave out is Peeta and the presidency. He looks thoughtful for a minute then takes the gun from Lyndon.

"Thanks Katniss, try to get some rest, I'll take it from here" he says as he walks out.

"I'm sorry this happened to you Katniss, I don't know how he got out without being spotted. I'll set up an investigation to find out exactly what's been going on in 3" says Lyndon

I nod my thanks to him as he follows Plutarch out.

"Okay then, let's get you back to our quarters" says Peeta.
I'm about to get up from the chair when Peeta scoops me up in his strong arms. I smile to myself as he pulls me into his chest and I bury my head into his neck. I feel so safe when he holds me like this, like nothing can harm me, ever.
We enter our quarters and Peeta takes off my hospital gown and puts me in a hot bath. He gently washes the sweat and grime from my body, rinses me off then lets me lie in the bath and soak. Peeta sits on the floor next to me, resting his chin on the side of the bath.

"How do you do it?" he asks

"Do what?"

"Always get into trouble?"

"I don't look for trouble, it seems to find me. If you'd taken your drink yesterday we'd both probably be in the Capitol by now"

"Yeah, I know. It frightens me though. How Wolfe can somehow manage to reach us in places you'd never expect. I honestly thought you'd imagined the encounter yesterday. But I was wrong, I'm sorry Kat, I promise I'll never doubt you again"

"I smile at him and stroke his head, letting my soapy hand run down to his cheek"

"Thanks for that" he says playfully as a large clump of soap suds runs from his forehead across his nose and down to his chin.
I reach forward and take his face in my hands, gently kissing his warm moist lips.

"I'm so happy you love me" I say

"You're kidding me right, I've always loved you, for as long as I can remember"

"But the way I treated you. After the first games I didnt know what I wanted. Even after the war, I couldn't accept that I loved you when I knew deep down that I did"

I lean back in to the water covering my face in my hands. I don't know why but I start to cry.

"I'm sorry Peeta, because of me we've wasted so much time. I knew how I felt, why didn't I do something about it, we should of been married ages ago, even had our first baby" I sob.

"Hey, where's this come from?" he asks, stroking some hair away from my eyes.

"I don't know, I just feel that this war, Uprising or whatever its called is going to kill us. I just want to spend all my time with you. Make the most of what time we've got left"

"Kat, nothings going to happen. We'll just take one day at a time, okay? We've got so much to look forward too what with the baby and our life in 12. Trust me, everything will be fine"

I nod silently, still quietly sobbing.

"Anyway, it should be me who's thanking you for loving me. I've dreamt of having you as my wife for my entire life. The day you told me you loved me by the lake and the day of our wedding will always be the happiest days of my life. I'm just waiting now for the birth of our baby" he says smiling.

I smile back at him. He always says the right things to calm me, to make me realise I'll always have Peeta by my side and that one day we'll be together living peacefully in our house in District 12. He leans forward, kissing the tears away from my cheeks then kisses me gently on the lips. I smile through the kiss put my arm around his waist and pull him over the edge of the bath into the water fully clothed!
"Hey" he tries to say, but all the time I keep my lips locked on his, stifling his words.
After, we dry ourselves off and Peeta lays me down on the bed. Although it's not home we've both become accustomed to our bed in 13. It's warm, cozy and smells of us. I lay out as Peeta covers me in the thick duvet. I snuggle down, and hear Peeta moving about the room then feel him climbing in our bed next to me. I turn away from him as he wraps his arm around me from behind. I smile as he rests his hand on my belly, and know that were safe, all three of us.
The next morning I feel so much better. Whatever the drug was that Wolfe gave me seems to have left no after effects and if anything I feel more rested than I have in a long time. I order a large breakfast from the console as I seem to be permanently hungry then eat in silence whilst Peeta takes a shower. Buttercup jumps up on the table to scrounge some food from my breakfast. I'm about to shout at him when I realise, he's supposed to be in 12 with Haymitch. How did he get here?
I'm suddenly startled by Peeta coming out of the shower, a towel loosely wrapped around his waist. I feel myself staring at him with my mouth full as he gets some clothes from the wardrobe. He turns toward me and our eyes meet. He smiles and I blush uncontrollably, caught in the act of watching my husband half naked.