Chapter 40

The next morning Peeta and I take buttercup to Hazel's. She'll try to look after him until we return, whenever that is. We all know he'll probably find his way back home so I'll leave the pantry window open as before, just in case. I actually get a little tearful handing him over. He's still the only thing left of Prim's that she really loved. I hope I see him again, just one last time, I think to myself.
We return home, get changed into our gear and eat a light breakfast. I return to our room to collect a few last minute things, filling our hold all with some clothes then looking round the room for the last time. Sadness fills me, I hated this house when I first moved here, but now it's filled with happy memories of me and Peeta. Even the ones of Prim bring a smile to my face. I'm about to walk out when I remember something. I walk across to my bedside cabinet and open the draw to see the parachute. I take a moment to open it, making sure everything's still inside, the pearl, the spile. I wrap them up safely and put them inside the hold all. As I walk back down the stairs I feel the rumble of the drop ship landing outside. Peeta stands at the front door waiting. Our bow's in one hand still in their cases with our sheaths in the other.

"Everything okay Kat?" He says trying to smile

"Yeah, I think I've got everything" I reply smiling back.
But really deep down I'm torn to leave 12. I'm so desperate for a normal life and spending time at home really brings it home to me.
Peeta opens the door and we make our way to the drop ramp to see Plutarch waiting for us.
"Good Morning, I wasn't sure if you'd have a change of heart this morning, but I see you're suited up ready to go"

"Yep, we're ready" I say walking past him, anxious to get away from 12 now.

"Katniss wait" he says

I stop and walk back down the ramp, annoyed at the delay.
I walk to him and he pulls me into an embrace, this takes me by surprise and it takes me a second to embrace him back

"I won't be coming with you but I just wanted to say thank you" he says as he releases me and steps back. I smile at him and he gives an awkward wave. I look at his face and see the sadness in his eyes. He really wants for us to be happy and live our lives out in peace. I reach forward and cup his cheek in my hand and smile at him before I turn away and follow Peeta up the ramp into the drop ship. I look around at the rest of the squad, everyone's here, the Rapiers, Cressida, Pollux, Haymitch, Gale, Megan and Paylor. This still strikes as a little odd. Why send the president in when she could be in danger of attack. I know this is all for propaganda but she could get caught up in this thing between Wolfe, Peeta and Me.
I see Cressida sat opposite Paylor and she directs me to sit on an empty seat next to Paylor, Peeta sits the other side of her. Then I realise that Pollux is filming all of this, to show that the star crossed lovers are supporting the president, that they're right by her side.

"Hello madame president" I say trying to be civil.

She turns and smiles at me "Katniss, you hardly ever call me that and you don't need to start now".

I nod smiling at her.
She smiles back then looks at my baby bump. "How's the pregnancy going, you look absolutely fantastic Katniss, but you really shouldn't be here. You should be home resting"

"Thanks Paylor, I'll be fine although I'm a little scared. I mean, at the end of the day I'm not even 20 yet and I'm having a baby. It's easier knowing I've got Peeta by my side though"
At that moment we both look at Peeta sat on the other side of Paylor, lost in his thoughts. He suddenly senses us staring and turns and frowns at us

"What?" he asks irritably.

"Oh, nothing" I answer smiling at him.
He tuts and looks away as Paylor and I burst out laughing.
For the next hour we have a friendly chat, something I really didn't expect, and after a while I begin to relax in her company and we start to talk about other things, more personal things.