Chapter 49

Alek takes over from Gale on the flight to district 3. It's a breathtaking ride at low level and high speed skimming over treetops and valleys and it seems only a short time before we cross into district 3.
"Do you want me to take us out over the border with 2, at least we can see what forces were up against and then we can report back to Plutarch" says Alek.

"Sounds good, lets do it" says Peeta.

"Alek increases our altitude so we can get a better view. What we see makes my blood run cold, thousands of mutts moving forward as a massive crowd, striding through forests, fields and marsh land making their way for the town, behind that hundreds of soldiers, then two lines of tanks followed up with a large transport with multiple wheels and a huge radar dish sprouting from the roof. I hear Ellie gasp.

"What's up Ellie, what have you seen"
"It's Odin, that's his transport vehicle, he's making his way toward the town, we've got to get there now"

Without a word Alek throws the hovercraft into a hard turn and heads back toward the town. As we approach we can already see another hovercraft on the ground with another flying away. Driving rain blows in from a fast approaching storm. Alek brings us straight in and lands with a load thump.

"Lower the ramp Gale!" I shout as I release my safety belt and leave the flight deck. I make my way down the drop ramp as Peeta and Ellie run past me to the media centre to hurry on the next group of evacuees. Me and Johanna wait at the ramp to help people onboard. Alek has left the engines running to save time and the shrill sound is starting to hurt my ears. Just then I see a steady stream of people file out of the media centre and make their way across to us. I'm looking for Paylor or Haymitch but so far I can only recognise Caesar and two girls who I assume are his daughters.

"Caesar, where's Paylor?!"

"She won't leave Katniss, not until everyone else is out!"

"Is Haymitch with her!?"

"Yes, he's helping with the evacuation" he shouts as he strides up the drop ramp with his two daughters in tow. A steady stream of people follow, some walking in a daze others running in a panic. It's not long before the drop ship is full.
Gale shouts down from an open window on the flight deck.

"Katniss we have to go, now!"

"No Gale, Ellie and Peeta aren't onboard!" I scream over the noise of the engines.

"We'll come back for them, we're only going to 4 we'll be back in minutes!"

I turn toward the media centre just a few hundred yards away, I can't leave Peeta, I search the crowd looking for him but I can't see him anywhere, the rain isn't helping matters either. I make my decision. I turn to Johanna who's standing on the other side of the drop ship.

"Johanna get onboard"

She frowns at me not understanding my intentions when I turn away and start jogging toward the media centre. I can hear her shouting but I can't make out what she's saying over the noise. As I reach the media centre I hear the drop ship take off. Tired and out of breath I throw open the front door and stumble inside out of the rain. Inside people are huddled in groups, nervous frightened eyes look at me as I close the door behind me. I look around the room to see Joel and Lyme stood in front of a computer console while Haymitch, Paylor and Peeta are in deep conversation. Both Peeta and Paylor have their backs to me but Haymitch looks over Peeta's shoulder to see me walk in. I see his shoulders drop and a look of exasperation spreads across his face when he see's me. Peeta follows his gaze and looks shocked to see me, I run to him.
"I'm sorry Peeta, I couldn't leave without you, I just couldn't" I say with tears welling in my eyes.