Time Passes

Adrien's POV

Marinette was right. Spending time with all nine girls was nearly impossible. I tried talking to each of them, but they acted like I was a Two hiring them. They acted as if I was not their friend. Not necessarily that they didn;t like me, just that they seemed distant. Didn't talk as easily or freely as Marinette. Didn't laugh as normal as Marinette. Didn't have an opinion of their own like Marinette.

Marinette, Marinette, Marinette! I scolded myself. Stop comparing everyone to her! Everyone has a good side to them. A good intention.

Except for Lila and Chloe. I hardly see any GOOD at all there. Speaking of Lila, I already admitted I had lost the bet, but that meant I didn't have enough time for all the girls. I had purposely scheduled her last. 

I knocked on Mari's door after dinner. She answered, and smirked, leaning against the door when she saw me.

"So?" She Said, examining her nails. "Has the prince completed his royal quest for romance?"

I rolled my eyes. "I couldn't do it." I mumbled.

"Sorry, what was that? I have some dust in my ear?"

"I couldn't do it, okay?" I admitted, smiling. "You were right."

She laughed. "See? This is why I'm here."

I smirked moving closer to her. "No, you're here because I keep you here. And do you know why I keep you here?" I whispered in her ear.

"Why?" She said uncertainly.

"I think you know why." I whispered, smiling.

She swatted me gently. "Stop it," she mumbled.

I laughed, and saluted her. "Enjoy your evening."

She bit her lip, and as I turned. "You know what would make my evening more enjoyable?"

I turned, "What?"

"If... it was with you." She looked at me shyly. 

Warmth and happiness filled my heart. "Lead the way." I said giddily.

Marinette's POV

I knew he would chicken. I knew it! Part of me was proud I one the bet, and another was sad that I missed that lovely evening. When I asked him again, I don't think I've ever seen him so happy

I saw Adrien more often after that, but I understood and respected the facts that he couldn't spend every waking moment with me. He had to date the other girls, let alone be the king he would soon be. 

Days turned into weeks. I couldn't count how many happy moments I had had in the castle, and most of them were with Adrien. Of course, the others often got jealous, and Adrien had already eliminated two people like that. Some people were scared they were next, but not me. Alya was interesting, she wasn't like the rest. She didn't swoon when she saw the prince nor did she accuse me of 'stealing' him. 

Oh, and did I mention I kneed him in the thigh once? Yep, I did. In my defense, he was WAY too close to me, and god knows what he'd do. We were all alone, no cameras, no guards, no midnight spectators. Just us.

About a month had past, and I couldn't help but wonder why Adrien hadn't already eliminated Lila or Chloe, since his annoyance and distaste for them was obvious. I suppose it wasn't my business. 

Today, Adrien and I are taking our usual rounds in the gardenm, when the same question came up as it did about a month ago.

"Do you know what love is, Mari? Do you know what it's like to be in love?" Adrien asked.

"Sure I do. Love... is like..." I thought for a while. "Love is like... choosing someone, over and over again, in a heartbeat, every time, never getting bored, excited every time. You don't even have to think, you just choose."I said.

"Huh." Adrien said. "And how do you know this?"

Shoot. He had caught me. Oh well, might as well tell him. It was going to come up eventually. "It's sort of personal?"

He smiled. "I'm ready to listen."

I sighed. "Okay, so basically back home. There was this boy. He worked for us, and we helped him and his family. Out there in the real world, the lower castes take care of each other. FIves pay the sixes once in a while, Fours are generous sometimes with charity money. Sevens sort of piggy back on the sixes.

"Anyway, this boy, he worked for us quite often. He was cute. One day, for my 14th birthday, he cornered me and told me to read his card. I did. It said, 'treehouse. Midnight.' The treehouse was basically a spot for us to meet. I met him there, and he confessed his feelings. I felt the same, and we spent hours  just enjoying love. It was beautiful, amazing.

"Two years. We dated for TWO YEARS in secret. We were saving up to get married. But then... the selection came along, and I guess he hated the idea of me starving, cleaning, while I could be in a palace. So he broke up with me. He made it pretty clear it was done."

I sighed in frustration and tire. Adrien looked at me. "Really? He just left you?" I nodded. Adrien clearly had nothing to say. He stared at the view. I did the same. We just stared and stared. It helped me relax a lot more, and I calmed down. Huh. He was really getting good at dealing with upset women.

HIIIII!!!!!!

Hope you enjoyed this chapter, the next one will be out a lot sooner. Just a quick reminder and FYI, a month has past since the two know each other. Also, SPOILER ALERT: there will be Adrinette in the next chapter, and some kissing too. A little. Things will escalate later.😏