Birthday Gifts Part 3

"Why haven't you ended this competition, Adrien? You told me that the only thing standing in our way is my love. Now that I have given it to you, what's stopping you now?"

Nobody's POV 

Adrien remained silent. 

Marinette was persistent. "Tell me,  Adrien."

Adrien leaned in and whispered in her ear. "You are not like Finesse. Do not make a scene in front of everyone."

Marinette clutched his shoulder tightly. "Then answer me, Adrien. Why won't you tell me you love me? Is it because you love Finesse? You can tell me, just save me some heartbreak."

"Sometimes duty has to come first. I have a duty to Finesse, as well as the rest of the girls" Was all Adrien said.

Marinette sighed. "I can't afford to be friends with them, you know? I can't sit there and smile as if I love them when I really want to punch them in the gut."

Adrien cocked his head to the side. "What do you mean?"

"Imagine having to live with a man, who, you know, is out there making out with the person you love? And not only that, they are forced to kiss back? And not only that, I have to deal with and befriend them, and am supposed to remain calm? What kind of game is this, Adrien?"

Adrien said, "I-is it really like that?"

Marinette looked into his eyes. "Yes. Sometimes, I feel as if this place is a cage, with nothing but dead ends every corner."

Adrien shook his head. "Then why are you still here, Marinette? You can leave if you want to."

Marinette smiled. "No, I can't. You're here, you have duties here. And I intend to stay with you."

Adrien smiled back, and gave her a quick peck on the lips. "Thank you."

"No, it's fine. I get it." 

Adrien laughed and kissed a lock of her hair. "Good. Now let's not spend the night talking of such boring subjects." He twirled her around and lead her to the gardens. "I do know you treasure privacy."

Marinette enjoyed the rest of the night. She loved it, it was probably the best night she had in the palace. That was a good thing too. Because after that night, and for a long time after, happiness would be found only at the end of the tunnel. And the tunnel was extremely long.