Chapter 35

The next day at school, Nikki stomped right up to Matthew.

She looked up at him and he looked at her quizzically.

"Nikki?What's wrong?"He asked.

"You!"She brought her hand up above her head, and beforr Matthew could comprehend what was going on, Nikki brought it down with extraordinary force.

SLAP

His mouth was slacked jawed and on his cheek bore a bright red mark.

"YOU LIED TO ONE OF MY BEST FRIENDS!"

People started to stare so Matthew took Nikki's arm and led her to an empty classroom.

He closed the door behind him.

"SO?!WHAT'S THE DEAL?!"Nikki screamed, her anger barely contained.

"First. Calm down. What's wrong?"Matthew asked, bewildered by Nikki's strange behavior.

"YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT YOU DID?!"Nikki stood a little taller and Matthew could see she wasn't as short as he had thought.

"YOU KISSED ALYSSA AND VALENTINA SAW. YOU LITTLE SH**!"

Matthew froze.

"S-she saw?"

Nikki looked at him, seething.

"So you were gonna keep your secret relationship with Alyssa, huh?"Her voice calmed down immeasurably, but her words were like knives.

Matthew shook his head.

"I-it's not like that!I swear!I can't explain it now but-"

Nikki cut him off.

"Save your stupid excuses. Just remember one thing. Val was so hurt by that, and there is absolutely no way I'm going to let you just see her again just like that.She said she was going to wait for you to explain yourself last night while she was at my house.But you know what? After she saw you kiss, she also said that she doesn't need your reasons. She understands."With all that said, Nikki made her exit and left Matthew in the classroom with a letter.

With trembling hands, Matthew read the letter, and the red mark on his cheek(from the slap) seemed to mock him.

Dear Matthew, 

I know this is all too cheesy, but I remember you told me to wait for you.I'm sorry to say this,but I saw your kiss yesterday with Alyssa. You probably have a reason for that, but I saw what I saw and that can't be undone.And so I say, Don't meet me again. 

The letter was tear stained and Matthew could tell it pained Valentina to write such a letter.

"Valentina..."

was all he could say.