Chapter 10: The Mystery Animal

Niklaus Mikaelson

"So who's it going to be Nik?" Aurora crosses her arms over her chest. I look at her and her face lights up. "Oh, I knew it was me!"

"What the hel-" I interrupt Caroline as I press my lips to hers in a passionate kiss.

"Wha-" Aurora's voice cuts off as Rebekah sticks a syringe in her neck.

"Why is she here?" I pull away from Caroline as Rebekah points at Aurora's crumpled body.

"I don't know. Get hold of Tristan. Ask him why his sister's out and get rid of her." I grab Caroline's elbow and lead her to the car.

"I thought you were going to pick her," Caroline pouts as I open her door. "She's obviously prettier than me."

"Hey." I turn her face toward mine and look into her eyes." Don't ever say that about yourself again. You are beautiful."

There's a smile on her face as she gets in the car. I get to the driver's side and drive to her house.

Hayley Marshall

"Who's Caroline?" I ask Tyler when he answers his door.

"A traitor." He shuts the door and turns to me.

"Did you know she's a hybrid?" He turns to walk away but slowly turns back around.

"Caroline's not even a werewolf."

"Yes, she is. I've seen her turn before."

"Interesting." He hands me a glass of scotch and sits down on the couch as he thinks. "Is she still with Klaus?"

"Yes. I actually kissed him right in front of her and she turned her humanity off. I presume it's still off." I take a sip of my scotch as Tyler looks up in surprise.

"She shut her humanity off because of that?"

"I also heard her say something about how her mom died." I take another sip of my scotch as he takes it all in.

"I had no idea." He sets his glass of scotch down on the table next to him. "And you're sure her humanity is still off?"

"I'm pretty sure. I haven't heard anything through my connections about it being back on." I down the rest of my scotch and set the glass on the coffee table. I feel a buzzing in my back pocket.

"Yes, John?"

"I have confirmation that Caroline has her humanity back."

"What? That's impossible."

"We have a person on the inside. They had front row seats."

I end the call and set my phone on the table next to my empty glass.

"It's back on." Tyler sighs as he slumps back on the couch.

Caroline Forbes

"Who's the guy that came with you from New Orleans?" I point towards the guy standing at the front door.

"He's a hybrid. Don't worry love. He's sired to me." I look at Klaus's face and sigh.

"I don't know. Remember what happened last time with Tyler and your sired hybrids?" Klaus twirls a strand of my hair between two of his fingers.

"I'm pretty sure that won't be happening again." He laughs when I make a face at him.

"I'm bored," I groan and he suggests a game. "Oh, you're dirty."

"I can be when I want to." He slides his hand down from my face to rest on my thigh.

"Two can play at that game." I tug his shirt over his head and run my hands over his chest.

"You enjoying that sweetheart?"

"Very." I slide onto his lap so I'm straddling him. "God, you're so hot. Did you know that?"

"Oh really?" His hands grip my ass now.

"Mhm." I bring my mouth down to his in a heated kiss. He slowly pulls my shirt over my head as I run my hands over his chest again.

"Caroline?" I break away from the kiss to see my father standing in the doorway. I hastily pull my shirt on and stand up when I realize the position we're in.

"Dad." He looks from me to Klaus.

"Who's this?"

"This is Klaus. He's my boyfriend." I hand Klaus his shirt and he slips it over his head.

"Well if I could have a moment with my daughter alone." Klaus nods his head and walks upstairs, hopefully to my room. "Caroline do you have any idea who that is? He's the original hybrid."

"I know."

"Then why are you with him. He could kill you any second." He gestures wildly with his hands as he talks.

"He would never hurt me."

"Is that what he told you? Well, he's lying. That creature has no remor-"

"HE SAVED MY LIFE DADDY," I interrupt him. He's about to reply when something barrels through the door and jumps on me. The creature bites into my neck and before it can completely take my head off it's ripped off of me.

"Caroline?" I can hear Klaus's voice faintly but I can't see him. Where is he? I turn my head but I only see darkness.

"Klaus? I can't see and it hurts." I bring my hand up toward the bite but rip my hand away when I feel the pain. I moan in pain when he picks me up bridal style.

"What was that?" My dad asks from somewhere in the room.

"I don't know but I'm going to find out. I need to save her." That's all I hear Klaus say before I disappear into complete darkness.

Elijah Mikaelson

"What was so urgent that I needed to come directly to New Orleans Marcellus?" I fix my suit as I walk into the room.

"Where's Klaus?" He takes a sip of the drink in his hand.

"He has an urgent matter in Mystic Falls. He should be back in a couple of days."

"Okay. There's a situation here. These huge creatures that look like a mix between a panther and a tiger."

"I've never heard of such a thing. Do you think your men can draw a picture? Maybe I can find out what it is." He takes out a tablet of paper and flips to a page.

"There. Take that." I walk out as I fold the paper and put it in my pocket.

Niklaus Mikaelson

"Caroline?" Her skin starts dessicating and her breathing slows. "No no no."

"I found out what that creature is. It's an oliang. No cure has been found yet..." Bonnie stops talking when she sees Caroline.

"Save her!"

"I can't Klaus. There's no cure."

I throw a chair across the room and Rebekah and Stefan run into the room. Caroline fully dessicates and her breathing stops.

"What happened?"

"She's gone." I slide down the wall onto the floor as tears slide down my face.