Chapter 19: The Choice

Niklaus Mikaelson

Caroline's body starts shaking uncontrollably and a scream erupts from her throat as I try to hold her down. Bonnie runs in and rushes over to help me. "What's happening?"

"I don't know Klaus. I just woke up as well. How long has it been?" Caroline stops shaking and her skin turns clammy. "How long has it been?"

"37 years." I get off of the bed and wet a washcloth, holding it to Caroline's forehead. "37 damn years."

"The spell was supposed to last 50 years and then she was supposed to wake up after. That's probably why she hasn't woken up yet."

"So I have to wait another 13 years for her to wake up?"

"Not if I can find the loophole. There's always a loophole." She looks up suddenly when the room starts shaking. "Is it alright if I look at Esther's grimoire?"

"Wake her up." She nods and rushes out. I brush the hair from Caroline's face and tuck a few strands behind her ear. "I will get you back."

Elena Salvatore

"What the hell?" Damon walks into the room as it starts shaking, things falling off of shelves. "Elena watch out!" Damon pulls me out of the way as a small wooden statue falls off of the shelf above me. "That was a close one."

"Yeah. What's happening?" My phone rings and I pull it out of my pocket as Klaus' name flashes over the screen. "Klaus?"

"Caroline was pulled out too early."

"What do you mean too early?"

"She wasn't supposed to leave the alternate dimension for 13 more years."

"Is that why the freaking world is shaking?!" My ear catches the news on the tv and I speed downstairs.

"Citizens of the world wake up today to multiple earthquakes. Police still don't have answers as to why this is happening. We will update you on further news."

"Klaus."

"Yes?"

"This is literally happening to the whole world."

"What?"

"The news." I rewind and switch to facetime. "Caroline really wasn't supposed to come back yet."

"No, but listen. Can you do some research on the spell Bonnie used?"

"Of course. Is there anything else you need?"

"I need her." The pain in his voice is evident and my heart breaks a little.

"We'll get her back Klaus." I end the call and throw my phone on the couch, running a hand through my hair.

"What was that all about?" Damon turns me to face him and I sigh.

"Caroline was brought out of the alternate dimension before she was supposed to. We need to find a way to wake her up before the world is destroyed." His only response is his sigh as he leans his forehead against mine.

Caroline Forbes

I run through the trees with Mikael on my heels and I fall as my foot catches in a bear trap. I quickly wrench it open and limp to the spelled cabin.

"You can't hide forever Caroline!" Mikaels' voice rings through the forest as I rifle through the drawers for the object I'm looking for.

"Aha!" I whisper a little too loudly and Mikael speeds to the doorway only to be stopped by a barrier, I hide the object behind my back.