Chapter 18: Be Careful

Katerina Petrova,

If you so much as touch a hair on Niklaus' head, I will personally rip out your heart.

Aurora de Martel

Katherine Pierce

"What's this?" Esther plucks the note out of the trash and I speed over, snatching it out of her hands.

"Nothing you need to worry about." I flash a fake smile at her and she shakes her head as she exits the room. I slip my phone out of my pocket and dial Damons' number. "So what's with you and Elena?"

"Stop getting all up in my business Kitty Kat."

"I told you not to call me that Damon."

"And when have I ever listened. Why are you calling me anyway?"

"Maybe I'm jealous."

"Katherine Pierce doesn't get jealous."

"Who says I don't?"

"You even told me yourself that you never loved me."

"I could have lied."

"Just leave me alone Katherine." The dial tone rings in my ear and I throw my phone down on the floor in frustration.

"Would you stop throwing things, Katerina?" Esther storms into the room, fuming.

"It is my house. I may throw things if I'd like." I speed towards her and pin her to the wall. "Do not forget that I am a vampire and I am stronger than you."

"You underestimate me," she chokes out and raises her hand, chanting under her breath and I drop her to the ground as I hold my head when the pain throbs through my brain.

"Okay okay. Stop please." She drops her hand and I sigh in relief as the pain subsides.

"Never underestimate the power of a witch Katerina." Esther nods at me before walking out.

Caroline Forbes

"I can't do this Bonnie. I'm alone every day." I pace in front of Bonnie as I start to panic.

"I'm trying Caroline. I'm trying to find a way to get you back but every spell is a dead end." She puts her hand on my shoulder to stop me from pacing. "I can ask Klaus to come see you."

"No. I hate to see him hurting."

"But Care maybe if he sees you he'll be happy. Even if it's only for a little while."

"He hates this. So much Bonnie and I can't bear to see the pain in his eyes but I miss him so much." A tear slides down my cheek and I collapse onto the couch as sobs rack my body. I turn onto my side and come into contact with a body.

"Shh, it's okay love. Everything's going to be okay." Klaus gathers me into his arms and rocks me back and forth as I let out all the emotions that I had been holding in, stroking my hair repeatedly and pressing kisses to my forehead. I feel the tears stop flowing and I look up at him, scared that I'm never going to see him again. His blue eyes stare back at me with as much fear in them as in mine. He brushes a stray curl away from my face and tucks it behind my ear. "Are you okay?" I shake my head and cling to his shirt as he presses a chaste kiss to my lips before lifting me into his lap. "Sleep, Caroline." My eyelids flutter before finally closing as I fall into a deep sleep.

****

"Caroline..."

"Hello? Who's there?"

"Be careful..."

"Of what?"

"Be careful..."

My eyes shoot open and I sit up suddenly, bonking heads with someone in the process. "Ow."

"No worries love. Didn't hurt me one bit," a voice replies from behind and I turn to see Klaus, he smiles at my expression, his face suddenly turns concerned. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm better now that you're here." I slide off of his lap and cuddle into his side. "I'm just so alone Klaus."

"You are not alone." Klaus tips my chin up and his deep blue eyes bore into mine, Bonnie suddenly pops up in front of me.

"I found a spell that might work."  Both of our heads turn towards her and she raises her eyebrows in question. "Am I interrupting something?"

"Yes actually," Klaus growls from beside me and I lightly slap his chest. "You're not interrupting anything Bonnie." Bonnie just smirks and explains the spell to us. "It requires you to sacrifice hybrids?"

"Yeah sorry, Klaus." He shifts beside me and I turn towards him.

"As long as I have her it doesn't matter." Klaus presses a kiss to my forehead and I blush as I look down at my hands. "Well if you're doing the spell you might as well start now."

"Well, I can't just tell you're hybrids that I'm going to kill them. You have to invoke the sire bond." Klaus sighs and tips my chin up towards him.

"I love you." The words are so low even Bonnie can't hear and he presses my lips to his.

"I love you." Klaus looks up at Bonnie and nods, they disappear.

37 years later

Bonnies spell didn't work. I don't know how much time has passed since I've been in this place but I know it's been a long time. Nobody's visited me in a while, a few years at the least. A tear slides down my face at the thought of never seeing anyone, ever again. A clock falls off of the fireplace mantel and a vase falls off of a shelf, shattering. The room starts shaking and the ground rumbles.

"What the hell is happening?" I jump about a foot in the air when Klaus appears in front of me only to disappear again. As he appears several times I can make out a few words. 

"Caroline- Bonnie- spell- found the right one- I love you." Before I fall into darkness.