Chapter 20: Safety

Katherine Pierce

"You are very delectable Katerina." Elijah nips at my ear and I giggle. Me giggling?

"Stop!" I laugh as I playfully push him away but he grabs my waist, pulling me against him. The sheet falls away to reveal my naked body.

"This is quite a view," a voice says from the doorway and I hurriedly cover my body again.

"Kol why have you come into my room without knocking?" Elijah grabs the blanket off the bed and wraps it around his waist, sliding off of the bed.

"I'm still wondering why you're still with Katerina. She fucked Klaus over in 1492 and then she fucked him in 1724 so I guess I can't complain."

"Is this true Katerina?"

"It was a long time ago." Elijah lets out a sigh and shooes Kol out of the room.

"But you still slept with my brother." He gives me a pointed look and I let out a sigh.

"It was a one-time thing. Believe me, it never happened again." I slide off of the bed, sheet wrapped around me, and walk over to Elijah. "I love you, Elijah." I set my hand on his face and he leans into my touch. "I love you."

"I know." He presses his lips to mine in a passionate kiss. "I love you, Katerina."

Niklaus Mikaelson

Bonnie chants in the background but I can only focus on Caroline. The love of my life. My one weakness and my one strength. She'll only get hurt if she stays by my side so I know what I have to do.

-Many hours later-

"It's done." Caroline's eyes flutter open and I take a deep breath. I'll allow one day of weakness before I do what I have to do.

"Klaus?" Her blue eyes bore into mine and I give her a small smile. "I'm the anchor?" I nod and she smiles as she sits up to hug me. "Good." She pulls back a little to press her lips to mine.

"I'll go so you guys have some privacy." I hear the door shut behind Bonnie and break the kiss, setting my forehead against Carolines'.

"It feels so great to be back."

"Can we spend the day together? Just one day?" She nods and I stand up, pulling Caroline with me. "I propose we have a movie marathon."

"Yes but no scary movies."

"Fine. Anything you'd like love."

Bonnie Bennett

"So? My brother's love is alive then?" Kols head is on my lap and I sift my fingers through his hair.

"Yes although I would like to spend time with her, he was miserable without her these 37 years." Kol suddenly sits up and his brown eyes stare into mine.

"And how do you think I felt darling? These 37 years I spent without you." A tear slides down his face and I wipe it away.

"I'm so sorry. I had no idea something like that would happen." A sob escapes from him and I pull him into a hug as he finally lets it all out. His hands cling to my shirt and I run my fingers through his hair. "It's okay, I'm here now."

"Well, this is touching." Rebekah's voice can be heard from behind me. "Never thought I'd see the day Kol Mikaelson would cry."

"Shut up sister." Kol wipes at his eyes and I let out a huffy breath.

"Leave him alone Rebekah." I turn to look at Kol. "It's okay to cry sometimes." I wipe away a tear that slides down his face.

"Whatever," Rebekah huffs and exits the room. I roll my eyes and when I turn towards Kol, he instantly presses his lips to mine in a feverish kiss. I'm pressed against the back of the couch and my hands find his hair. His lips leave mine and pepper kisses down my neck, leaving a trail of fire in their wake.

"Maybe we should take this to your room." I hardly get the words out before he whooshes us away.

Rebekah Mikaelson

"Kol is insufferable." Stefan raises an eyebrow at me.

"I can see why. He is your brother." He emphasizes 'your'.

"Are you saying that I'm insufferable?" I frown and he shakes his head.

"No, you can just be, difficult sometimes." I let out a huff and fold my arms over my chest, he walks over and sets his hands on my waist. "But I still love you Bekah."

"I love you too." I press my lips to his and I bring my arms up around his neck.

Niklaus Mikaelson

"Thank you." Caroline's blue eyes stare into mine and I set a hand on her cheek.

"For what?" She sighs and places a kiss on my cheek.

"Your first instinct when I came back wasn't to do anything sexual. Instead, you let us just spend the day together and it was nice." She cuddles into my side and what she said makes me feel even more guilty for what I have to do. "I love you." I close my eyes when she says those three words.

"I love you, Caroline, always and forever." I sit up and Caroline gives me a confused look. "I want you to be safe, always. Which is why I have to do this."

"Do what? Klaus do wh-" I tip her chin up and stare into her deep blue eyes. "No. Don't-. Don't compel me." She tries to turn away but I keep a good grip on her chin.

"You will not remember any of our times together this year." Tears pool in both of our eyes as I keep talking. "You will not remember me as the good guy. You will only remember me as the monster who killed people you cared about. Go back and enjoy your safe life. You are still the anchor and I know you won't remember this after you wake up but I love you. "A tear slides down my face as I struggle to get the words out. "Now go home and sleep. When you wake up these words will take effect." She gets up and lets out a sob as she continues walking towards the door. As soon as the door closes behind her I fall back onto the couch and let out the sobs I had been holding in.

Rebekah Mikaelson

"You will not remember any of our times together this year. You will not remember me as the good guy. You will only remember me as the monster who killed people you cared about. Go back and enjoy your safe life. You are still the anchor and I know you won't remember this when you wake up but I love you. Now go home and sleep. When you wake up these words will take effect." I wait until after the door shuts to enter the room.

"Brother." Klaus looks up with a tear-stained face and I rush over, pulling him into a hug.

"I had to keep her safe."