Chapter 16: Esther

Bonnie Bennett

"Happy birthday!" Elena jumps in surprise when I throw the door open. I hand her a party hat and she takes it willingly.

"I thought everyone forgot considering everything that's going on." Elenas' turns a little to the side as if she hears something. "Oh god."

"What?" I hear moaning coming from Carolines' room and I quickly mutter a spell, the sound becomes inaudible. "That is not a sound I want to hear coming from Caroline."

"It's my birthday and they're having sex!" She rolls her eyes and puts her party hat on her head.

"I thought he was in New Orleans."

"I guess not anymore." She opens her door and we head downstairs. "As long as she's happy."

"Surprise!" Elena quickly puts her hands over her face as everyone jumps out from their hiding places. She squeals when Damon wraps his arms around her from behind and kisses her on the cheek.

Caroline Forbes

I hear a faint surprise from downstairs and my head shoots up as I remember that today is Elenas' birthday.

"Crap!" I slide out of Klaus's arms and start grabbing my clothes off of the floor. Klaus' eyes follow me all over the room.

"Where are you going?" He gets off of the bed and slides his boxers on.

"It's Elenas' birthday and apparently her party is happening right now." I slide my shirt over my head and turn to Klaus. "Get dressed."

"I don't think your friends would be very happy with me coming." His hands grip my waist as he pulls me close. "I'd much rather spend time with you."

"I want to spend time with my best friend on her birthday and I would love it if you were there as well. They're going to have to get used to you some time because." I press my lips to his, a long and slow kiss. "We're forever."

"Always and forever." He smirks after he pulls away and walks over to my closet, pulling out a shirt I may have stolen. "Is this mine?"

"Yeah." I pick his pants up off the floor and hold them out to him. "You left it here one day when I decided to wear it after... you know."

"I do." He smirks, taking his pants. "You do look quite good in my shirt."

I smile in response and squeal in surprise when he grabs my waist and playfully bites along my neck. I turn around in his arms and press my lips to his in a playful kiss before removing his arms from around my waist and rush out into the hallway, forgetting to close the door behind me. Klaus emerges from my room fully clothed and gathers me into his arms and smirks as I squirm, struggling to escape his grip. He pulls the strap of my tank top down and leaves small delicate kisses there to the top of my breast, I moan in response. Someone clears their throat behind me and I quickly pull up my strap.

"You two just can't get enough of each other." Kol strides over to us, hands in his front pockets.

"I was going downstairs." I glance at Klaus, a smile finding its way onto my mouth.

"My brother just can't keep his hands off of you." Kol smirks as Klaus sends a glare his way. "You can head downstairs if you'd like. I need to speak with him."

"What about?" Kol glances up at me and shakes his head.

"All in due time young Caroline." He tries to shoo me downstairs but I hold my ground. "Nik you sure picked a stubborn one." Klaus chuckles as his brother tries to force me downstairs but I run under his arm and stand next to Klaus.

"Whatever you have to say to me brother you can say to her." Klaus's arm slips around my waist and he pulls me closer to his side.

"Fine. Guess I can't get rid of her." He comes to stand in front of us. "Mother is back and she means to destroy us all." A low growl comes from Klaus and I link my fingers through his comfortingly.

"That would destroy the entire vampire race." Kol sighs in response and looks at me.

"That is exactly the point. She still sees vampires as abominations." Klaus grips my hand tightly at 'abominations'.

"We won't let her though, right?"

"Of course not." Screams come from below and we rush downstairs, Esther has Damon pinned against the wall and Elena is holding her head in pain. All the party guests are staring at her in fear and a few are crying. "Speak of the devil."

"Where's Elijah and Rebekah?" She drops Damon and Elena rushes over to him as she whimpers in pain, still holding her head.

"That is none of your business mother." Klaus strides over and she aims her magic at him but he doesn't react in any way. He pulls a pendant out of his pocket. "Your magic doesn't work on me anymore."

"No witch would be foolish enough to make that for you." Her hands drop to her sides and Elena sighs in relief. "I want you to get your siblings here. I need to speak with all of you."

"Not if you have the means to kill us."

"Whoever told you that rubbish?" She sounds sure of herself but her eyes don't show it. "Why would I want to kill my own children?"

"Please. You've been trying to kill us for a thousand years." He grabs Esther by the throat and holds her to the wall. She mutters a few words under her breath, the pendant is ripped out of Klaus' hand and he goes flying across the room.

"Klaus!" I go running towards him but a hand grabs my arm and tugs me back. "Let me go."

"You could get caught in the crossfire darling." Kol keeps a firm grip on my arm as I try to push him off of me.

"I don't care about me. I need to see if he's okay."

"But he cares about you Caroline and I'm not spending another century in a coffin if you end up dying. Besides he's fine." He nods his head towards Klaus who is standing up. I relax and he releases my arm.

"I may not be able to kill you at this moment but I can kill someone you care dearly about." Esther raises her hand and I'm pulled towards her. "You do care about her don't you?"

"Leave her out of this." I struggle against the magic as Esther produces a stake from her bag.

"There's no way to bring her back. The other side is gone." Esther places the stake above my heart as I hear faint chanting from the other room.

"Caroline. I know you can hear me. I'm in the other room with Bonnie. We are trying our hardest not to let you die but if you do she'll link your life force to Klaus and send your spirit to an alternate dimension." Stefan's voice is promising as Esther prepares to stake me.

"Thank you." Klaus' face shows confusion at my words as the stake plunges into my heart.

Niklaus Mikaelson

No!" Carolines' body falls to the ground, gray and lifeless. Esther has a triumphant look on her face and I speed towards her, removing the heart from her body. I drop it to the floor and gather Caroline into my arms. "Caroline." A single tear escapes from my eye as Esthers' lifeless body falls to the floor behind me in slow motion. Everything is in slow motion. Elena crying hysterically over her fallen friend, Kol shaking my shoulder as he tries to talk to me. I slowly get up with Caroline in my arms and walk out, silent tears running down my face.