3: Something's Missing

Monet DaSilva

Two Days Later

"I like this!" Zahra cooed, picking up a swim suit that looked too small to fit anyone. Our other friend Aaliyah was here to help out; mainly because I was such a bore and I knew Zahra would get irritated from my lack of interest as she usually did.

We had an early class and nothing really to do in the afternoon, so we normally spent at the mall; window shopping but this time since Zahra was going away, she needed a few pieces which gave us a reason to splurge a bit. Well, them at least. I, on the other hand was dragged here against my own will. I really wasn't in the mood due to that time of the month.

"Where's the rest of it?" I asked, holding it up with disgust. "You might catch a cold in this."

"Not when I'm laying face down, ass up on a beach in Miami!" she said, smiling big at me. "Right next to my best friend of course."

"Oh, so Aaliyah best friend now?"

"There you go, always gotta be smart!" she shook her head and continued browsing through the rack of bikinis. "And no, she's not my best friend, but since you don't want to come she may have to play the role for a week. Unless you change your mind! You only have a couple of days to book your flight. You know that, right?"

"I don't know why you keep telling me this Z. I told you multiple times that I won't be going. There is nothing for me in Miami."

"Nothing for you?!" she exclaimed. "Everything you need is there; the foods great, the weather is amazing, there's fun around every corner and not to mention a nigga that you so desperately need."

"True that!" Aaliyah said, holding up a few pieces to her chest.

"I do not need a nigga first and foremost." I rolled my eyes and followed behind her and she strolled to the next rack. "I hate to repeat myself but I am fine just the way I am."

"Yeah, yeah we know." Zahra flashed me off and held up a white then pink deep V-neck one piece to her chest. "Which one?"

"Hmmm... I like the Pink." I said.

"Nuh uh, you're going to look like a highlighter. White is always classy." Aaliyah noted, and just like that Zahra put away the pink one and strolled towards the cash with the white. It was as if I was chopped liver, but as usual; I shrugged it off and buried my head in my phone to pass the time.

Aaliyah was new to the group, and I already didn't let her too much. We met her in the gym one day, shared an interested talk about weave vendors and her and Z immediately kicked it off meanwhile I stayed on the back burner. The moment they met I could tell they were perfect for each other, which did worry me but it is what it is. Zahra and I had history and that was enough. They enjoyed the same things and spoke the same way, it was as if they were long lost twins, and I was the outcast sister. Thankfully, Aaliyah worked out of town and we barely saw her though which is why I still, somewhat had a best friend.

Zahra and Aaliyah paid for their items and we finally left the store, then heading to Gucci for this headband that the two of them had been raving about for the longest. I stayed behind and rolled my eyes; regretting even leaving my bed to play babysitter.

As we made our way from store to store, I picked up a bag of Miss Vickie's chips and I continued to focus on my Instagram feed; trying my best to ignore the ugly groups of guys that thirsted at the sight of us; or maybe just the two. I was now annoyed, hungry and the cramps I was feeling had me ready to go back to campus but I couldn't let them know that.

"You know that's horrible for your shape, right?" Aaliyah said, pointing at my bag of chips that were already almost done. I shrugged her off, and kept it moving.