Eurovision Spin-Offs

(Eurovision has had a long run up untill now, so this chapter will mainly cover the eventual spin-offs which emerged in the 21st century. You might actually be surprised on how Eurovision's little spin-offs became so varied and which includes European nations in several arts. You'll see soon.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Throughout the years, Eurovision gradually evolved, expanded and even got more varied, and that's pretty much a fact.

In the end of the 20th century, that one contest which was mainly focused on just a few nations (mainly Western European), it began to take shape to the contest we pretty much know and love today. The Soviet Union split up, and many countries which were formerly part of the Eastern block eventually took part in Eurovision Song Contest shortly after, around 1993 and especially 1994.

However, in the 21st century, Eurovision became more and more open to the spin-off concepts (of course, the original contest wouldn't be affected by it, don't worry of that). EBU began step-by-step to initiate more spin-offs which are closely related to the original contest.

This page right here is going to focus more on these Eurovision spin-offs which are under the Eurovision name.

Not the competitions which are basically similar to Eurovision but which aren't exactly tied with the contest we know. This will be a subject for next time, more likely. But now, we focus more on the spin-offs which are closely tied with Eurovision, and not the ones which were inspired by them.

And I won't include the national selections on this list, because that doesn't count as spin-off (aside Sanremo in Italy or Festivali I Kenges in Albania which eventually became their NS in 2003 officially).

We're alright with this? Good then. Let's begin.

Eurovision Asia
(it's planned to debut in October 2018, hopefully this spin-off will take shape and won't be just some trick on us)

I've covered more about Eurovision Asia in a separate post made a while ago, so I'm not going in full detail once again.

Eurovision Asia Song Contest is basically the counter-part of Eurovision in Asia. Kinda like if Eurovision had a child and was raised in Asia fully and now it grew up and wants to be more like his/her parent.

Considering it's the first edition, EBU decided to take it simple: 1 grand final with 20 countries, with the format being close to Eurovision Song Contest.

So far, 13 expressed interest in this spin-off - and the host country hadn't been revealed.

Here's again the official intro of Eurovision Asia, but if you want more details on it, check the "Eurovision Asia" page in this book.

Junior Eurovision
(still going on strong since its debut in 2003)

One of the early spin-offs made by EBU was initiated in 2003, when this one debuted in full force.

Junior Eurovision Song Contest is basically what it sounds and look like: Eurovision, but the contestants are children and not adults as in the original one.