13| These Days

"OKAY, SO SHE'S you're grandma?" Ruby asked as we made our way up the stairs of the apartment complex.

"Yeah, well, not by blood, but I consider her my grandma." I said. My heart was leaping. I was excited to see Poppy again. It had been too long.

I was especially excited for her to meet Ruby.

"She let me live with her when my parents died."

"She sounds really sweet."

"She is," I nodded. We reached the front door of her apartment. I knocked three times and waited. I knew she wouldn't be working today, as it was Saturday.

The door opened moments later, and Poppy stood in front of us with a huge smile on her wrinkly face. I immediately enveloped her in a hug, missing the scent of her Chanel No. 5 perfume. I got it for her birthday a while ago, and she still wore it to this day.

Poppy didn't have a phone, so I could only imagine how surprised she really felt when we had shown up. But she never minded if someone showed up unannounced. She always went out of her way to make sure you felt at home.

"Poppy, this is Ruby, my girlfriend." I felt goosebumps against my skin when I said that last word. It got me every time.

Poppy immediately went for a hug before Ruby could even say hello. I quietly laughed at the sight of her having to lean down to hug Poppy, who was shorter than the both of us.

"Come in, come in, please." Poppy said, and we followed her into the tiny apartment.

I could hear the stew boiling away on the stove, and it smelled delicious.

"Stay for dinner," Poppy said, walking to the kitchen.

"Are you sure there's enough?" I asked from the living area.

"Of course! I always make enough for leftovers." Poppy said, opening the lid of the pot and letting steam out.

I glanced at Ruby, who was grinning to herself. "Okay, sure. We haven't had a home cooked meal in a really long time." I said, just as my stomach gurgled. No wonder Ruby looked so happy.

We ended up staying for longer than expected. It was nearly one in the morning, and I knew Poppy usually went to bed at eight pm. It was because of Ruby, who kept Poppy entertained and laughing the entire time. I was starting to think that they were getting closer to each other than I was to both of them.

Poppy was especially fond of Heaven, who she wouldn't stop cuddling. I suggested that she got a pet, and she said she was too old to take care of one.

We had been playing cards all night, and every time we would finish a game, we would say "one more".

In those moments, I felt fulfilled. I was surrounded by people I loved. My family. It was small, but it was enough for me.

Poppy ended up disappearing into the bedroom. Ruby and I started cleaning around, as we still had empty plates of food, including desert, all over the living area.

"I love her," Ruby said, stacking plates.

"Wow, you said that quicker than you said that to me." I said, smiling with amusement.

"Sorry, but she's my grandma too now." Ruby said, making me laugh.

I heard the bedroom door open and looked to see Poppy walking over with two pillows and a blanket against her chest.

"Poppy, we weren't planning on staying over!" I gushed, walking over to help her carry them.

"But I want you to stay." Poppy said, putting the blanket on the sofa. "It'll be a tight squeeze, I'm sorry."

"No, that's okay. We don't mind." Ruby said, a slight smirk playing on her lips.

Poppy took it upon herself to tuck us in, and Ruby and I couldn't stop laughing like a bunch of ten year olds. Once she had gone to bed herself, we finally stopped.

We were shoulder to shoulder, staring at the ceiling.

"Maybe if we spoon," Ruby suggested.

"Can I be the big spoon?" I asked, already turning over to face her.

"Fine," Ruby said, also turning around. I draped my arm over her waist and pulled her closer, resting my forehead between her shoulders.

"I love you a lot." I said after a moment of silence.

"I love you too," Ruby replied, "I really do."

I smiled as I slowly drifted off.

THE PHONE RINGING stirred both of us awake. I lifted my head, squinting at Ruby's phone. It was on the coffee table.

My arm was still over Ruby. She reached out and grabbed the phone, answering the private number and pressing it to her ear. It took her a few seconds to say anything.

"Hello?" She said, her voice husky.

I closed my eyes, about to fall asleep again.

"Sure," I could feel her voice vibrate through her skin. She sounded hesitant. "Okay, thank you. Bye."

She hung up and dropped her phone back onto the table before leaning into me.

"Who was that?" I mumbled, eyes still closed.

"That photographer. He asked me to come in tomorrow for another shoot. He said I'll be paid."

My eyes shot open and I sat up, staring at her gobsmacked.

"Seriously?"

She was smiling, and it looked genuine.

"Yeah,"

I screamed in excitement, cupping her face and quickly kissing her lips.

"I knew it! I knew they'd love you!" I screamed, leaning down to hug her.

"Okay, you were right." She said, and I knew she was rolling her eyes.

"Imagine if you got big, like Gigi Hadid big."

"Now you're going too far." Ruby chuckled, pulling herself into an upright position. "I'm just glad I'm getting paid for it this time."

I bit my lip, staring at her. I had a really good feeling about this.

A/N

Short filler chapter 😩 I hope you still enjoyed it though! Thank you guys for always being so kind and patient ❤️