15| Rise and Fall

A/N

I honestly can't even begin to describe how much I love and appreciate every single comment I receive. Thank you so much, I wish I could update every single day because you deserve it! Unfortunately, instead I upload once every week or every ten days. I'll keep trying to do better, I promise. 💖💖💖

Also, just a warning that this story will become more intense as it progresses. If you ever feel uncomfortable or are
triggered, please feel free to skim past the part. Just know that my dm's are always open for you too 💖

"WHAT'S THAT?" I fake gasped as I pulled open the glass sliding door that divided the house and the large backyard. "Is that a backyard?" I said, trying to hype her up. Ruby glared at me. She hated when I talked to Heaven in my baby voice.

Heaven's tail wagged ferociously before she bolted towards the open space.

"That goes over there." Ruby told the movers, who carried our new black leather sofa into the house. I moved to stand in the middle of the empty space, taking in my surroundings. It already felt like home.

"We're really in need of some decorations." Ruby said, joining me in the middle of the room.

"Until then, we can just use your photos." I said, winking at her before walking towards the boxes in the corner of the room.

"Don't you dare." Ruby said firmly, following me. I had a sly smile as I opened up the top box before pulling out a black frame. It held the photo from Ruby's first shoot, and she looked extremely sexy in it.

"I'll actually never talk to you again." Ruby said.

"Fine." I rolled my eyes, putting it back in the box. "But I don't see what's the point having them if I can't even show them off."

"Because that's weird. Why would I have photos of myself up around the house? That's like having your own selfie as your phone's wallpaper."

"So you're saying that if it were more than one person in the photo then it would be okay?" I said, knowing that she had us two as the image on her lock screen.

"Yeah, or children."

"Interesting." I walked towards her. "Well then, I guess we will have to take some more photos together." I gripped her shirt and pulled her towards me, making her stumble forward. She gave a toothy grin, her head slowly leaning down to kiss me.

Before our lips could even touch, her phone went off.

She immediately straightened up and reached for her phone in the back pocket of her black skinny jeans, walking away from me. I knew it was work just by the tone of voice she was using.

I blew out my lips and casually crossed my arms, waiting patiently for her to finish up on the phone.

She was always busy now. We hadn't had sex in over a month because she was "too tired". I didn't get it. All she had to do was lay there while I did the work. But she didn't even want to simply cuddle me at night anymore.

Sometimes I wondered if she was falling out of love with me.

WE WERE ABOUT to spend our first night in our new home. I was in love with the house. The size was perfect for us two. It would still be perfect even if our family extended one day.

We still needed to buy more furniture as we had no dining table nor a proper bed. The mattress was on the ground for now but we didn't mind.

We also no longer had to worry about sneaking Heaven out.

I could hear the shower running from the ensuite. Ruby had only come home an hour ago, after being at a important meeting with the modelling agency. She told me that they were going to start booking Ruby bigger jobs as she was being requested by companies. I found that to be incredible news, so I wanted to celebrate. Maybe tonight she would finally show a little affection.

I got undressed in a rush, excited to spend some time with her before she got out of the shower and went straight to bed.

I walked into the bathroom, expecting her to immediately see me. However, instead I found her tattooed back facing me, her forehead pressed against the tiles of the shower wall.

Upon further inspection, I realized she was crying. Her shoulders shook ever so slightly, but I could not hear her sobs over the shower.

My stomach dropped. I quietly left the bathroom and went to the walk in wardrobe, picking out something comfortable to sleep in. I tried to pretend that I didn't see that, but I couldn't stop thinking about it. I didn't know what to do. I wanted to comfort her, but I felt like she wouldn't let me.

How often did she hide from me just to cry? Why had I been so blind? Ruby was not okay. She was lying to me. She just didn't want me to worry.

A few tears slipped out of my own eyes and I quickly went into the kitchen instead. I tried to distract myself by putting away some cutlery in the drawers.

I heard the shower turn off. I hastily wiped at my eyes. I didn't know what to do.

"El?" I heard her call out from the bedroom after a minute or so.

My voice wobbled. "In here!"

I heard soft footsteps before Ruby appeared in the kitchen, a white towel wrapped around her slim figure and her hair damp and sleeked back.

"What are you doing?"

"Just unpacking. We still have a lot to do." I said, avoiding eye contact as I sorted through the knives and forks.

"I know. It's really stressful moving, isn't it?"

I quickly looked up at her. "Don't stress. I'll have it all done by tomorrow night. You just relax, okay? You need rest." I said, my voice sounding slight desperation. Ruby looked confused.

"I'm not stressed, I just mean it's stress-" she stopped herself, like she gave up on trying to explain it to me. "I'm going to sleep, maybe you should too?"

I wanted so badly to go with her, to snuggle her all night, but I also was too emotional to do so.

"In a minute," I said, my voice squeaking. I turned around to face away from her, pretending to be busy. I just didn't want her to see me cry.

"Okay..." her voice was gentle. I heard her walk away.