25| Her

EVERY TIME I thought about her, my body would feel light. I got goosebumps on my skin whenever I would replay our conversation

I had accepted that I would never get over her. Of course, I would be able to move on without her, but she would always have a special place in my heart, whether I liked it or not.

However, a part of me wished that I hadn't gone back to talk to her, because it only made it harder to move on.

Whenever I would hear a noise, such a car door closing outside, I'd think it was her. After she admitted that it was possible that she might return one day, I kept thinking that it would happen now.

Everything was still here, including her guitar.

It was a Sunday afternoon and I had just finished work. As I walked up to the front door while fumbling for my keys in my bag, I realized that I had not heard Heaven bark, something she always did as soon as she heard the car door slam shut. I shrugged it off and entered the house, pulling my coat off and hanging it beside the door.

As I walked down the hall and into the kitchen, I pulled off my grey scarf from around my neck and went to drop it onto the kitchen counter. Then I noticed that the TV was on, and for a moment I felt the blood drain from my body.

I flinched hard when I heard a voice, followed by Heaven's bark. I walked over to the glass sliding doors and that was when I saw her.

She was playing tug of war with the small, three-legged dog. My mouth fell open and I quickly moved away from the window, running my hands through my hair in panic.

I was not ready for this. The house was a mess as I had been too busy to clean. I didn't know what I would say to her, or how I would act. I swore to myself before grabbing my keys, dashing towards the front door. I then realized that I needed to get my scarf or else she would know I was home, and quickly turned around. Before I could even reach over and snatch it from the counter, I heard the sliding doors open.

Ruby didn't notice me until after she had called Heaven back inside and closed the door.

"Oh, I didn't hear you come in." She said, grinning at me. "Sorry, I thought you'd be home because it's a Sunday, and I was going to leave when I realized you weren't but I've missed Heaven too much."

"Don't be. It's your house too, remember?" I said, rubbing my arms to get rid of the nerves.

Her smile faltered. "Yeah, it just feels different though." She said. I was tempted to say, "well, what did you expect?" But instead, I kept my mouth shut and nodded slightly.

She started walking my way, but I knew she wasn't trying to reach me, and instead was heading for the hallway to leave.

"I better get going then," she said as she walked.

I just nodded again, completely blank on words.

Before she reached the hallway, she turned around and hesitated, "I'm really, really sorry, Ellis."

I felt like I had been stabbed in the chest, just by hearing those words. Immediately, tears welled up in my eyes and I looked away, turning around and taking a few steps.

"You probably won't believe me when I say that it almost completely broke me when you sent that message."

I wanted her to stop talking. Tears were trickling down my cheeks now.