17| More Than The World

"WHAT MAKES YOU happy?"

I felt Ruby move her head to look at me. Her arms were wrapped around waist, while I sat between her legs. "Why?"

"Because I want you to do things that make you happy." I leaned my back into her, wanting to feel her heartbeat and warmth.

"You make me happy." She said. I could feel her smiling.

"I mean activities." A comfortable silence washed over us. We continued to watch the sunset over the waves.

"I used to play the guitar." She said after a while.

"Really? Why did you stop?"

"I don't know, it was kinda pointless after a while."

"But if you enjoyed doing it, then it wasn't pointless."

"I guess,"

My chest still ached from the tip of the knife I had pushed against myself. It also ached from the fact that I almost lost her again.

"Ellis, I will never put you through any of that ever again. I promise you."

I picked at her fingers, reading the tattoos on them. Then I brought them up to my lips. "I know," I said, kissing the soft skin.

I believed her this time. I don't know why, but I just did.

"I don't understand how you could still be with me, let alone forgive me."

"Because I love you, Ruby."

"But how do you still love me? Gia had problems and I... I don't forgive her."

"That was a different kind of love." My eyes were fixated on the flock of black birds flying in the distance.

I unwrapped myself from her arms and stood on my knees, turning myself around to face her. I sat on her lap. Her face was so beautiful. I never wanted to stop seeing it.

We slowly leaned in. When our lips met, it was like the first time. Butterflies erupted in my stomach.

I pulled my lips away, my hand delicately tracing her neck. The skin was pink from the rope. I moved my head down and kissed it firmly.

She meant more than the world to me. In that moment I realized that I would truly die for her.

"I can't believe I was going to leave you behind." She said, bringing her hand up and tucking it my hair behind my ear. "I'm so fucking stupid."

"Don't say that," I said, feeling my hair fall to the side of my face again. She tucked it away again. She smiled delicately.

"I can't wait for everything to get better."

"Me too."

I KNEW NOTHING about guitars, so I didn't bother surprising Ruby with one. Instead, I brought her to the store so she could pick one out herself.

Of course she complained and told me it would be a waste of money.

I told her that if she didn't use it, then I would learn to play it, so technically it wouldn't be a waste.

She thought that was ridiculous. I felt like that was a foolproof plan.

"That one." She pointed to a red guitar.