Chapter 3

When we get on the train, we eat, we talk, and then we go to sleep. I wake up the next morning and we are in the Capital. I slip out of bed, trying not to wake Peeta up, and go to the window.

“I guess when you come here so many times... the ride seems to get shorter and shorter,” Peeta says.

“I guess so,” I reply and turn back to the window.

“What’s wrong?” Peeta asks walking over to give me a hug.

“Nothing,” I say sharply.

“Something’s wrong,” Peeta begins.

I just stare at him.

“You can tell me Katniss.”

I stare and he stares back. Eventually I give in and tell him the truth. “I don't want to be here Peeta. It’s not right, I shouldn't have said yes,” I say and start to cry.

Peeta hugs me. I wrap my arms tightly around his neck and he buys his face in my hair. Warmth radiates from the spot where his lips just touch my neck. It feels so good, so impossibly good, that I know I will not be the first to let go.

We hear a knock on the door and follow Haymitch down to breakfast. We have just enough time to eat before we are rushed into the training center. When the elevator doors open, we see Beetee, Joannah, Enobaria, Annie, and Effie all sitting on the couch.

“Welcome! Welcome!” Effie says beaming with joy.

“Hello Effie!” Peeta and I say at the same time.

“Come, come,” she says leading over to the couch. “Sit, sit! I need to talk to you all.”

“Ya, we’ve been sitting here for hours waiting for you!” hisses Joannah.

Peeta sees me shoot her a look then comes and sits between Joannah and me.

“Alright!” Effie begins. “As you all know we are having a finial Hunger Games at your request... So Joannah, you will take my place at the reaping. Haymitch, you will be head gamemaker, and the rest of you will be gamemakers and help Haymitch.”

“Shouldnt Gale be here?” Beetee asks interrupting Effie.

“He’s will be here tomorrow, he had something to do today,” Effie snaps.

She starts talking but I’m too busy thinking to hear her. Gale will be here tomorrow! I will see him again! What will I say to him? What will he say to me?