Chapter 7

He makes his way up the stairs and to the microphone. Joannah starts asking him the same questions Peeta and I had to answer.

"What's your name?"

"Gale Hawthorn,"

"Why did you volunteer as tribute?"

"To protect my best friend." Gale makes his way to the boys side and stands there staring out at the crowd.

It feels like hours before the reaping is finished. Joannah leads us to our rooms where we get to say good-bye to our families. Peeta, Gale, and I are the last people to receive a room.

The three of us walk in and sit down on the couch Joannah just sits on the couch and turns so she can stare directly at the three of us.

The silence is nauseating. So I break it, "What do you want?"

"I'm just trying to think of how to be nice," Joannah says in a harsh but calm voice.

"Good luck," I mumble.

Peeta hits me and whispers in my ear "Be nice!"

I stare at him coldly and say "We'll see!"

A few minutes pass and then Haymitch, Beetee, Enobaria, Annie, and Effie all pile into the room.

Haymitch walks over to where the three of us are sitting and stands directly in front of me. "What the hell were you thinking?!" He shouts.

I look Haymitch directly in the eyes "I couldn't let her go in there," I pause for a minute and then continue, "it's not like it's the happiest place on earth."

"I know it's not sweetheart. Did u forget I was in there once too? But what happens if u all die? Or if these two boys die and you live? Then you will be miserable and not be able to function on your own. Also nowhere will be the happiest place on earth for you!" Haymitch shouts.

I stare at him blankly. I can't believe he just said that. I just stare at him until I finally can't take it anymore. "It's done and over with!" I shout at Haymitch, "The three of us are going into the arena and that's that!"