Chapter 5

"All right children now that Gale is here we better head to the stage we don't want to be late," Effie says like the reaping is best event to ever take place.

We follow Effie to elevator and down to the ground floor. From their we walk two blocks to the stage. When we get their Effie makes Joannaha go and get ready so the rest of us just stand by the pole and wait.

After 10 minutes I talk and brake the silence. "Do you think there will be a lot of younger kids?"

Haymitch sighs. "No body knows Sweetheart. It all depends on what piece of paper Joannah pulls out and who's name is on it."

I sigh and hug Peeta because I don't want anyone to see my face right now.

At 12:00 the reaping finally begins. Joannah walks on stage and if I didn't know her I would say she was a Capitol citizen but I guess that doesn't matter.

"Welcome to the finale Hunger Games!" Joannah says trying to imitate Effie as best as she can. "Today we will pick 12 courageous young men and 12 courageous young women to compete in the finale Hunger Games.... As usual ladies first," she walks over to the bowl, pulls out a name, reads the name, the kid walks up to the stage, and we move on to the next person. It just keeps repeating.

I'm not really paying attention but when I see a little girl (about as old as prim and rue were) make her way towards the stage I feel like I could faint. A flashback of Prim's first reaping and the games run through my mind and before I know what I'm doing I start walking towards the stage (just like I did when Prim's name got called.) I haut made it to the walkway when the little turns to look at me. Her eyes lock on mine. I can't help but see Rue standing there (having to go fight for her death when one of sibling who were older could have volunteered for her) and I can't stop myself from when I shout out "I volunteer!"