twenty-three

╔═══ *.·:·. ☽ ✧ ✦ ✧ ☾ .·:·.* ═══╗

draco

"No, it can't be true" were her first words when she found out we were soulmates.

I didn't think she'd believe it.

Hermione desperately tried to convince her that she was right, and I just sat down with my head between my knees, fighting tears, probably looking like a pathetic coward.

"That's all subjective. I might not be an Amherst. Draco's portrait might be for someone else, Trelawney is usually wrong. It's not true" she argued because she didn't want to believe it. I knew Celia well enough to know that she believed it, she knew it made sense. She was just arguing because she didn't want to believe it. She wanted Hermione to agree with her.

Hermione argued that she had a patch of golden fur, which Celia labelled as a "terrible coincidence".

I couldn't handle hearing her sad objections so I interjected.

I started talking with my head still between my knees, feeling too weak to put my head up. "No, Celia, it's not. It's true"

She involuntarily let out a noise, somewhere between a gasp and a sniffle. Neither Hermione nor Celia heard or noticed this noise, but it caused me to look up instantaneously. My eyes insinctively went straight to her right shoulder, where I knew my name would be written forever. My thoughts took over from my emotions and I found myself continuing talking, even though I wanted to do anything but.

"When you left I made a list of all the girls I've had sex with. There are 3. I lost my virginity to Daphne's sister Astoria. It can't be her because I saw her naked body the next morning, no tattoo. Same for the second time we had sex, no tattoo. Whereas for you, you were awake and dressed when I woke up. The next girl was the one I met when my dad took me to America, but it can't be her, because afterwards there was an attempted burglary at Grimmauld Place, and Me, my mum, my dad and my auntie searched the whole property. No branch on my portrait, because I remember studying it and my place on it with great interest. It just shows it couldn't have been either of those girls. It's you Celia. I think we're soulmates"

Something in her mind clicked, and she knew that arguing against it anymore was useless. She apologised, then stumbled with her chair. "I need to leave" she said, running from the library.

I knew it was no use calling her. Celia couldn't handle all she had heard right now, so she needed some time to be alone and digest the information she had just heard. Hermione called for her regardless, though I got the vibe she felt it was useless but the right thing to do.

She sighed sadly, and my head returned to my knees as soon as Celia was out of my sight.

We sat in silence for a few seconds. The silence was louder than anything I'd ever heard. I hoped for a noise to cut through it. But in the end there really was no silence. The room was library silent. There was no talking, but there was shuffling, muttering. The sound of movement and life. I wanted someone's conversation to be audible. I wanted to listen to someone or something so I didn't have to listen to my own thoughts. I felt like I did in the hospital wing after my withdrawal.

I felt movement by my side and someone coming to rest there.

"Draco?" Hermione said quietly.