Letter

Vanessa

I wake up with no tears in my eyes. No nightmares that I'm aware of, no controlling of any scenario I can't take within me.

My insides cheer for a second, loving how I slept so soundly tonight after all those nights filled with nightmares.

I sit up to go to the bathroom, only to see the stars outside. I walk closer to the bathroom to see someone sitting on my desk.

"Kaden?"

His hazel eyes meet mine before they focus back on whatever he has in his hands. A pen, it seems.

"I'm sorry, Vanessa," he whispers. I stare at him for a second before grabbing a chair and sitting beside him.

"What are you sorry for?" I ask. He sighs before looking into my eyes once again. I notice how red and watery they are from this close.

"For lying to you, Vanessa. I feel horrible," he whispers once again before he sobs and starts to cry. He looks away from me and back to the pen that occupies his writing hand.

"Kaden, don't cry. What did you lie about? Tell me, I won't be mad," I say, trying to soothe him.

"You'll find out my lies when I'm no more," he whispers so low, I can barely hear what he is saying.

"Shut up, you're not going anywhere," I say, upset at his words.

"Or am I?" He tilts his head so he's looking at me again. He slowly leans in before his lips are on mine.

As I feel his lips on mine, he whispers his last words to me, "Goodbye Vanessa."

He vanishes into thin air, the pen in his hand disappearing as well. All that remains is a piece of paper on the desk.

I wish I could've controlled my dreams sooner, so I could've saved him.

But you can't save someone in a dream once they're already gone in the real world.

I wake up with tears in my eyes. I'm so used to this, that it's nothing new to me.

One thing about these dreams I have is that they're so realistic, and I know I'm having them as soon as they start. Sometimes, I'm able to control them if they're happy. But when they're sad, I can't control them at all.

But they're so realistic, I contemplate if I'm in the read world or not when I wake up.

I wake up to see Grayson sitting on a chair beside my bed, sleeping.

"Grayson?" I say. His hazel eyes instantly open and are set on mine.

"Nessa? Are you okay?" He asks, standing up.

"Sit down Grayson, I'm fine," I say. He sighs before sitting back down on the chair. "Actually, sit on the bed with me. Get yourself comfortable, that chair's probably very uncomfortable."

He smiles before walking to the other side of the bed, and gets comfortable.

"How do you feel?" he asks.

"Horrible. I'm so shocked that he's gone," I say. I feel tears coming from my eyes down my cheeks. As soon as Grayson saw these tears, he shifted closer to me on the bed and wiped them away.

"Please don't cry, Vanessa."

I smile at him before another tears escapes.

"How's Annika? Where is she? Did you tell her anything?" I ask.