Family

Vanessa

As soon as I started to read the letter, the world starts to spin again. Every sentence I read, a tear dropped from my eyes.

As soon as I finish reading, I look over at Grayson to see him crying as well.

"He was a great man," he sighs. I nod.

Memories of meeting Roni and Ethan fill my head; Kaden's the reason why I met them again.

Memories of Annika's birth fill my head; Kaden's the reason why she's well fed, so spoiled, and blessed.

Memories of Grayson fill my head; Kaden's the reason why I stayed sane after I left him and the reason why I've met him again.

Kaden's done so much for me, and I'm so blessed to have had someone like him in my life.

But he's still present up there, watching over me and protecting me, like he always did when he was alive.

□□□

*one week later*

Tomorrow's the day of the funeral, and I'm so nervous to say goodbye to the man who was once in my life.

The doctors said Kaden's condition after the accident was so bad, that his face had to be covered because of all the wounds. 

This means that I can't see the face of the man I didn't love enough one last time before he gets buried, and I just want to. I want to say goodbye personally, even if he can't hear me or say goodbye back.

This past week has gone by so slow and so miserably, but Grayson made sure he didn't leave my side.

Like right now. He's right beside me on my bed, playing on his phone with Annika.

Today's the day Grayson and I have decided to tell Annika the truth, the whole truth.

"Hey, Anni?" I ask her. She looks up from Grayson's phone to look at me.

"Yes, mommy?"

"Gray and I have something to tell you," I say. I stare at Grayson for approval, he nods.

Annika gives Grayson back his phone and sits in the middle of the bed, facing us.

"What is it, mommy?"

I take a deep breath, "Do you know where Daddy went?"

"No, mommy. Where is he? I miss him," she makes a sad face. I start to cry as I look at Grayson, signaling him to tell her. He takes a deep breath before glancing at me, nodding as he looks at Annika.

"He's gone to a better place, Annika. He's gone up to God," says Grayson slowly, grabbing one of Annika's little hands.

"What does that mean?"

"He's in heaven, Anni. God needed him up there. He's not coming back, baby," Grayson says, gently stroking Annika's hand.

"What?" she asks. "Mommy? Daddy's gone?"

"Yes, baby," I say. She looks at me with wide eyes before tears start to run down her beautiful face.

"I miss him, mommy," she cries. I look at my beautiful daughter before picking her up and bringing her to my lap, hugging her.

"I do too, sweetie," I say. Grayson looks at both of us, tears running down his cheeks. I give him a warm smile before kissing Annika's forehead.

"We have something else to tell you too, Anni," I say. She sits on my lap and looks up at me, wiping a tear off of my face. "This one's happy."

"What is it, mommy?"

"I am your father," Grayson whispers, looking at me. I can't help but laugh at the Star Wars reference.

"What did you say, Gray?" Annika asks him.

"I'm your dad, Anni. I'm your actual dad," he says. Annika looks at him in shock before a little smile replaces her frown.

"Really?" she smiles, looking at me. I nod. "Yay! Gray's my dad!"

Grayson laughs before Annika jumps so she's on his lap, "I love you, daddy."

Grayson smiles wide before smirking at me, and then looking back at Annika, "I love you too, my beautiful daughter."

I look at them and my heart warms as they both hug each other.

A father and daughter moment.

Grayson opens his arms so I can join their hug.

"I won't bite you," he chuckles. Annika does too, before biting Grayson on his arm. "Hey, little missy. If you do that again, I'll tickle you!"

"Not if I do it first," she says before starting to tickle him. I laugh as I join her, both of us torturing Grayson as he laughed, trying to get away from us.

He falls off the bed, and Annika and I laugh harder, "Ouch, that actually hurt," he whines.

"Too bad," Annika says, giving her dad a big toothy smile. Grayson smirks at her before gently jumping on the bed so he's on top of her, tickling her. Annika's adorable laugh mixed with Grayson's deep one fill the room as I sit there and admire them. 

This is my family now.

◇◇◇ 

Hello!

Not very proud of this one, but Annika now knows that Grayson is her dad!

Next chapter is the funeral and a cute Graynessa chapter since I already started writing it! :( :)

I'm gonna be publishing a random six worded stories book later this week too so be on the lookout!

Sorry for not posting last Saturday, and yesterday...I just have been super busy since my Grandpa came from Pakistan!

Next chapter will come out sometime this week and then it's gonna be back to schedule! Also, I'm gonna try to write the next chapter to "And You Are?" as well!

Love you guys! 

Xoxo,
Umi 💜

[Word Count: 1000]

[Word Count: 1000]

(Also, the only purpose of having word counts is for me to look back at these chapters and average the number of words I write in an easier way. And so I know how many words on average I should write every chapter. So yeah, that's why I've been doing that!)

(I'm adding words to make it 1000)