Chapter 26 - "I can't go to the cops, Katie...I can't."

Chapter 26 – Katie Peterson

I gave Louis a quick hug, turning to see Nick, Jackson, and Jessica—all at the top of the theater waiting for me.

“Alright,” I heard Jackson faintly say to Jessica and Nick, “let’s go.”

Nick wrapped an arm around Jessica’s shoulder as she attempted to walk towards the car.

I groaned, “Oh my god…Nick just pick her up…she’s the lightest person on earth—just carry her to the car.”

“No!” Jessica protested.

Nick snickered a little and picked Jessica up—bridal style. She started to freak out thought, “Nick O’Riley! I swear to god if you drop me no one is going to be able to recognize you until you’re freaking sixty!!”

Nick’s eyes were wide open and tightened his grip on her so she didn’t fall out of his arms or he didn’t drop her. Yeah it was true that Nick was protective of Jessica, he always has—between all the boyfriends and heartbreaks she’s been through, he’s been there for her through every single one—except for one…which was theirs. Nick was a good guy, I had nothing against him—I just wished that he stood up for what was his…and what that is, is Jessica. If love comes back, it’s meant to be right?

Nick tucked Jessica into her seat and slammed the car door, running onto the other side of the car and finally getting in.

“Ugh,” Jackson grunted as he sat down in the car.

“Are you okay, babe?” I asked, putting my hand on his shoulder.

He nodded, slightly, “My feet just hurt like hell.”

“I’m sorry,” I kissed his cheek as he started the car.

“It’s okay,” he replied, simply; Jackson started the car up and pulled out of the parking lot.

It had only been…fifteen minutes after we left and Jessica was in the back seat—already asleep…that girl, I swear. Jessica’s phone was in her hand; how did I notice this? Yeah, her screen lit up. I took a quick peek at who it was, and obviously Nick did too ‘cause at the moment neither of us were happy.

Jack Montez.

Jessica’s father was trying to contact her again; No one really knew what he wanted or what he was trying to do, but it started to freak us out—this was the believed to be second text message that Jessica has gotten from her father in the past two days. Since Nick and Sam have been with Jessica more than I have I don’t really know how many she has gotten.

“This is really starting to piss me off,” I whispered to Nick.

Nick raised an eyebrow as Jessica’s screen turned black again, “What? The fact that her dad is texting her?”

I nodded with a shaky sigh, “I mean…this is the second time I’ve seen him text her in the past two days, Nick; what if she’s not telling us if there have been more than two?”

Nick just shrugged his shoulders, “Look Katie, I know you’re concerned…I am too; but it’s not any of our business what the conversation is about.”

“Nick, you don’t understand do you?” I crossed my arms and watched his eyes widened, “Everyone knows that Megan is dead, and we all know who killed her…now do you really want Jessica to keep a secret about what those conversations are about? The last time I saw a text message from her dad was this morning and it said that he was going to find her and basically nothing was going to get in his way.”

Nick was silent; I couldn’t really make out what his facial expression was or how he was feeling, I just watched him look at Jessica, who was still asleep. Jessica was such a light sleeper so I’m still not really sure how she wasn’t woken up by any of this. She shifted a little in her seat as Nick pushed her hair back a little.