Chapter 9 - Running from the truth

Chapter 9 – Jessica Montez

I looked around the hospital waiting room: it was very empty for a waiting room. It had a few paintings and chairs and that was about it.

A doctor walked out of Luke’s room and his eyes came right into contact with mine, “Why hello there Jessica.”

“Doctor Jameson, how is he?” I asked in a hushed whisper. I glanced at the nearby wall clock—it read eleven-twenty seven. I sighed and waited for an answer.

“Well, he has a few bruises and a couple of cuts,” he began, “But that’s about it; not much to worry about.”

I let out a breath in relief.

“May I ask a personal question Jessica?” Doctor Jameson handed his clipboard to a nurse passing by.

I nodded and awaited his question.

“Have they released Megan’s body to you guys for the funeral?” his words hit me hard; it felt like someone had stabbed me over and over.

I cleared my throat, “The funeral’s next week on Friday,” I sighed, holding back tears.

He nodded at me, “You’re a strong girl, Jessica, stay safe.”

And with that...he was gone.

Megan was my little sister; she was only thirteen years old when my dad beat her to death. She had so much to live for—she wanted to travel the world and compete in the Olympics. Megan was the best gymnast in Contra Costa County, she was excited to be competing in the state competition, but it will never happen now. Megan was, also, about to graduate eighth grade—her graduation was supposed to be next Wednesday, since she won’t be attending the school has offered to hold a moment of silence for her. I easily accepted to that.

Overhead in the hospital Last Kiss by Taylor Swift was ringing throughout the building, and I felt like I was going to cry. A moment later, I felt a hand touched the small of my back; I turned up to see Eric, Sam, and Ben all staring at me.

“Are you okay?!”

“How’s Lucas?”

“Did you get hurt in anyway?”

They kept the questions coming and coming and I felt something boil inside of me.

“SHUT UP!!!” I screamed.

The hospital was quiet for a quick moment and then everyone began working again.

I sighed, “I’m sorry—I just—I didn’t mean for any of this to happen.”

I felt hot tears run down my face and the guys brought me into a hug; they all moved back and I saw Jessica Jones standing in front of me.

I walked straight into her arms as she handed me an extra pair of clothes, “Thank you.”

She nodded against my shoulder, “You’re welcome, and I’m so sorry.”

I took the clothes and walked to the nearest bathroom; I kicked open the largest stall door and full on burst into tears, I couldn’t even control it.

“Why?!” I screamed at nothing. The bathroom was completely still and no one was inside but me. I slid down the wall and kicked my heels off.

Sniffling I heard the bathroom door open, “Jessica?”

It was Lindsey.

“In here,” I chocked out.

She pushed the bathroom stall open and I looked away as she stared at me.