Chapter 11 - A night with my best friend

Chapter 11 – Jessica Montez

I stormed out of the hospital room and ran straight into Jake, “Where do you think you’re goin’?”

Jake just stared coldly at me, his eyes demanding an answer. I looked over towards Jessica and frowned, “I’m going to stay at my friend Katie’s house, if that’s alright with you?”

Jessica nodded at me; handed me my bag and I just started walking.

“KATIE!!” I pounded on her front door—it was late, obviously, but that god her parents were out of town, “KATIE LET ME IN!”

The hall lights flickered on as Katie opened the door, “Do you have any idea what time it is, missy?”

I rolled my eyes at her, “Yes, I do…can I stay here tonight?”

She nodded, immediately, “What’s wrong?”

“Lucas is pissing me off,” I replied, going straight for her fridge.

“How?” she yawned. Obviously Katie hasn’t been sleeping or anything; she was still in her everyday clothing—today she was wearing: a white v-neck, a pair of faded blue Hollister shorts, a coral colored Hollister sweatshirt, and she still had her lace TOMS on—let’s just say that Katie LOVES Hollister…oh and TOMS.

I shut the fridge door and sat down at the island in the middle of her kitchen, “Lucas had my grandmother’s wedding ring inside his wallet, ‘cause apparently ‘Megan wanted him to give it to me’…but why wouldn’t Megan just give it to me in the first place?”

Katie sat down in the stool next to mine, putting her phone on the counter, “Hmm…that’s a little weird, and usually I don’t think anything is weird,” Katie crossed her left leg over her right and leaned her right arm on the island counter, “I mean, I knew Megan just as much as we all did, that’s something Megan wouldn’t do…I know that Ky and her were best friends and all but why would she give the ring to Lucas?”

“Katie…you’re treating this like a murder case or something,” I laughed.

She let out a quick giggle, “You started this conversation, love.”

Katie and I have been best friends ever since we met each other back in first grade; we’ve always been the same in everything: clothing size, shoe size, taste in: music, fashion, boys, you name it. Although, Katie and I have polar opposite personalities, we still love each other.

“Hey, do you have any clothes I could borrow for tomorrow?” I rose an eyebrow, awaiting a reply.

“Sure,” she replied, flashing me a smile, “Anything in mind that you’d want to wear?”

I thought about that for a moment—Katie’s closet or “wardrobe” was HUGE, she had literally everything in that closet; she was a pretty popular girl at school because of that, also because she just got along with everyone. Katie was pretty good in the make-up department as well, but I seem to own more make up than she does.

“Surprise me,” I spat out.

“Well,” she replied, jumping out of her chair and—literally—running down the hallway into her room.

I slipped off the chair and followed her into the room that she called “small”. Small wasn’t even the right word to describe Katie’s room; if I could have her room I would, she had so much space in there—I was jealous. I walked into Katie’s walk in closet where she was picking away at clothing she thought would “fit my figure”, like she’d always say.

“Okay,” she said, all of sudden, really awake. She held out to me a pair of tan Hollister shorts, a navy blue elbow shirt with a scoop neck, a tan infinity scarf, some bangles, and navy blue, toe peaking wedges.

“Geez, girl,” I exclaimed, as she stacked everything in my arms, “You and your accessories.”

“It’s a gift,” she winked.

I rolled my eyes, “I’m sure it is, love.”

I noticed her outfit for tomorrow spread out along the little island in the closet. She had a pair of blue ripped jeans, a loose, long sleeved, one shouldered shirt, with a pair of gray combat boots, leather bracelets and a pair of aviators.

“Nice outfit choice for tomorrow, dude,” I gaped at the outfit; everything matched perfectly. I was almost tempted to trade with her, but knowing Katie—she won’t give it up for all the money in the world.

“See I told you,” she exclaimed, throwing her hands in the air, “GIFT. G-I-F-T!”

I laughed a little, “You keep telling yourself that,” I replied with a wink.

“So,” she started. “Why don’t you just stay here, instead of Jessica’s?”

I shrugged my shoulders, “Because, it’s easier to get to Colorguard, and the apartment is quiet, oh plus—I don’t want to deal with your mom—no offence.”

“None taken,” she replied with a huff, “I hate dealing with her for just ONE day—I’m glad they’re out of town.”

I collapsed on her bed and let a sigh, “I can imagine dude.”

“Wait…so let me get something straight,” she stated, taking a seat next to me on the bed. “Does this mean, you’ll be going to Liberty?”

“Sorry?” I raised my shoulders, flashing a small, innocent smile.

She groaned, “Are you kidding me?!?!! You’re going to be leaving me with…them.”

Katie’s always one to be ‘over dramatic’ about everything, no matter how big or little the problem. But I have to admit the two boys I’m leaving her with I, kind of, feel bad for the girl. I knew she was talking about Kyle and Nicholas; the two teenage boys we’ve known ever since third grade. Yes, they were EXTREMELY annoying…but she’ll live…right? Probably not.

“Transfer with me?” I suggested.

“Yeah, right,” she rolled her eyes, “Like my mom will let me—ME—of all people transfer to Liberty. She’d probably let my sister ‘cause my sister’s so, friggin’ perfect.” She glared at nothing which caused me to laugh.

“IT’S NOT FUNNY!!” she shouted with a smile on her face.

“Then why are you smiling?!” I exclaimed, still laughing. I guess I was laughing a little too much, ‘cause next thing I knew—I was on the floor—and my best friend, the lovely Katie Peterson, was laughing at me.

God, I love my best friend.