Chapter 16 - Arguments

Chapter 16 – Jessica Montez

I looked at Nick for a moment, he obviously was nervous to tell me his “good reason.”

“Because—I know you love me too, Jessica.”

I just froze; my cheeks were burning, my eyes went completely huge, but I was just staring at him…his words echoing in my head.

“Say something,” he spoke, breaking the silence.

“Nick…” I trailed off, not really knowing what to say. Hell, what was I supposed to say? My best friend basically just confessed to me that he still loved me; how was I supposed to react to all of this? “That’s a good reason, yes, but…I can’t…we can’t.”

“Why not?” he demanded, raising his voice a little.

“You know exactly why!” I shot back, “You have a girlfriend and I’m all of a sudden to ‘socially awkward’—according to some people—to just be your friend.”

“Laura and I—,”

“Just stop, Nick…” I cut him off, “it’s been two years, my feelings for you, there still here; I can admit that—but things between you and I, they’ll never be the same ever since that day, that day you told me it was over…for good.”

Nick inhaled deeply and let out a shaky sigh, “Jessica, I’m sorry, letting you go was a mistake…”

“You can’t take it back Nick,” I admitted, “you can’t make up for it; nothing ever could.”

Nick took a step closer to me, “Why won’t just say the words.”

I looked Nick straight in the eye and searched every single inch, “Because I can’t…and I know I shouldn’t.”

“Yes, you can.”

“I can’t, Nick, and you know that!” I exclaimed.

“Why not?!” he spat back.

I sighed and rubbed my temples again and sighed, “Nick…if you still loved me…you should’ve never let me go.” I brushed past his shoulder and walked straight into the diner—spotting Katie and Nick’s mom sitting next to each other.

Katie waved at me, “Jess! Over here!”

I quickly walked over and took a seat next to the window; I saw that Nick was still out there, but this time he wasn’t standing away from the car—he as leaning against it—with a look on his face that was really hard to read.

“I’ll be right back,” Nick’s mom excused herself, walking out of the diner and over to her son.

Katie and I both watched intently as Nick and his mother had what looked like a serious conversation. Nick and his mom were shouting stuff back and forth at each other, god knows what it was about, but by the time they were done—Nick’s mom looked hurt and Nick looked like he was about to cry. Nick pushed past his mom and walked into the diner; Katie mimicked what she had done for me when I entered the diner and he walked over taking a spot next to her. I looked across the table at Katie; she was tapping away on her phone—like nothing had ever happened.

Sighing, I leaned my head up against the window and waited for the waitress to come by.

“Good morning all,” the waitress greeted, “What could I get you guys today.”

Katie ordered enough food to feed the army and Nick just simply ordered a bacon and cheese omelet.

“And for you?” she asked me with a smile.

I shook my head, “Just water please.”

“No food?”

“No thank you.”

She nodded in understanding and then walked away; Nick and Katie were giving me a funny look.

“What’s wrong, Jess?” Katie asked me, placing her hand on mine.

I just shook my head, “Nothing’s wrong…I just don’t feel like eating.”

“Jessica…” she replied.

“I’m okay, Katie,” I flashed her a reassuring smile. “I’m okay.”

Katie sighed and looked back and forth between Nick and I, “Okay…what happened between you two?”

Nick just shook his head and put his phone in his pocket, “Nothing happened Katie.”

“Obviously something did.”

“Nothing happened okay,” Nick exclaimed. “Just drop it okay?!”

The diner seemed really quiet all of a sudden; I could feel my cheeks burning with embarrassment as I leaned against the window.

“Jessica…” Katie looked at me, dead serious, “What’s going on with you?”

I took my head off of the window and sighed, “Everything,” I whispered; pushing my chair out and storming out of the diner.