Chapter 5 - Sam's POV

Chapter 5 – Sam Heasley

I grabbed Jessica by the waist and yanked her back down, but onto my lap. She, sort of, struggled to get up and off.

“Sam!! Let me go!!” she screeched.

“NEVER!!” I said in some sort of evil tone.

She eventually gave up and just lounged in my lap, her back pressed up against my chest and her head resting on my shoulder.

“Sam?” Jessica shifted a little and looked up at my.

“What’s up?” I replied, sitting up a little.

“Why are you doing this?” she pointed to the gestures; me putting my hand on her back, her sitting in my lap.

I shrugged my shoulders, “I don’t know—you’re my best friend and I feel comfortable around you, so I feel that this isn’t all awkward or anything like that.”

To be completely honest, I’ve have a crush on Jessica ever since the day I met her…she and I always talked and she was my best friend; we liked all the same things, we were both very loud and obnoxious around one another, we both enjoyed marching band, she was the easiest person to make laugh, and the list goes on and on and on…but I never really knew—and still don’t know—how to tell her how I really feel about her. It just seems that she doesn’t like me like that; ever since she dated Eric and Jake, she’s been a little more distant and she’s been “busy” with I don’t know what.

With Jessica, I already knew what was going on in her house hold: her parents were fighting and she was basically neglected ever since that started happening. I have to say so myself that her parents fight over the dumbest shit—Jessica’s grades, bills, Jessica’s sister’s wardrobe, and a whole hell of a lot more. It was absurd; I can understand why Jessica tried out for a lot of stuff after school—mainly here at Liberty.

Jessica took a look at me and smiled, “Well, I’m glad you feel that way.”

I feel more though.

“Jessica…” I trailed off, I thought really, really hard about what I was about to say—just hoping I’d get the answer I hope for.

“What?” she asked with that million dollar smile on her face.

“Uh,” I looked past her shoulder to see Corinne, my ex-girlfriend—ignoring her I looked back at Jessica and smiled, “Liberty’s having their Homecoming Dance next Saturday and I was wondering—you know, if you might want to go with…me?”

I smiled, being hopeful and waited.

Jessica smiled ever so sweetly at me as she touched my cheek, gently. She giggled a little, “I wouldn’t miss it for the world.” She took her hand back and stood up, pulling me up with her.

She opened her arms for a hug and immediately brought her right into my arms.

“Thank you,” I whispered into her ear, giving her a quick peck on the cheek.

She back away a little and gave me a smiled, “You’re very welcome, Sam.”

I couldn’t be happier in this moment with her.