Chapter 15 - Because I know you love me too...

Chapter 15 – Nicholas O’Riley

I looked at Jessica through the rearview mirror, she was being awful quiet; although, Jessica and I didn’t talk much anymore, she was still my best friend and I still cared about her. I looked away from the rearview mirror and looked out the window as we headed out for breakfast.

Something about Jessica has changed; come to think of it…a lot of things about Jessica have changed: she’s a whole hell of a lot thinner than she used to be, she wasn’t as talkative, she wouldn’t make eye contact with anyone…it was strange to see her this way; I wanted to know what was up, but she wouldn’t even talk to me. When she got into the car she just plugged her headphones in and blocked out the whole entire world, like nothing or nobody else existed or something.

I met Jessica back in fifth grade when we were put on the same soccer team, outside of school. She was a great athlete, but she gave it all up for Colorguard and band…not even looking back at what she used to love. She left me, she left the team…she left everyone; yeah, I heard the rumors about her sister, but I knew they were true—people talk, it’s a part of life; but if they don’t know who someone is they shouldn’t even bother talking to or about that person, especially if it was Megan or Jessica.

***Flash Back*** - Fifth Grade

“Jessica!!” I shouted, waiting for her to slow down as she walked, “Jessica!!” I repeated.

Jessica pulled out a headphone and slowed down for me to catch up, “Hey Nick.” She greeted.

“Hey, you going to practice today?” I asked, excitedly.

She shook her head, “No, I’m not in the mood for practice today, but maybe next time okay?” she took the other head phone out and wrapped the head phones around her MP3 Player that her parents had bought her for her birthday—music-aholic this one is.

I felt crushed, “But—Jessica…you said that same exact thing last time…”

She sighed, pulling her backpack onto her other shoulder, “I’m sorry, Nick…I just can’t go to practice today, I wish I could; I have homework to do though and my mom wants me to stay home today.”

I burrowed my eyebrows, cleared my throat and stopped walking.

“Nick,” she said; and that’s all she said…was just my name.

“If you didn’t want to be on the soccer team…” I started, “Then why did you join?”

She sighed, looking away from me, “It wasn’t my choice—my dad’s making me do soccer…I don’t have a say in what I do or don’t do.”

“Jessica…” I began.

“No Nick…you just don’t get it,” she replied, starting to walk again. “I have to go Nick…I’m sorry.”

Jessica Montez left me standing there that day in the cold. With a crush…broken little heart.

Katie’s voice pulled me out of my thoughts as I noticed we were sitting in front of Black Bear Café, “You going to let us out or what?”

“Oh,” I spoke in realization, “Yeah…”

I pushed the car door open and pulled a little latch to let the girls out of the car; Katie was first to dash out of the car and into the small, home styled diner.

“You okay?”

I turned to see Jessica closing the car door, staring at me. My mom was looking at me with a look questioning me if we were going to go inside anytime soon.