Chapter 25

I sat down on the couch inside my new bedroom and grabbed my phone.

Luke has sent me multiple missed calls and text messages. I don't have the energy to reply though. We just found out that Aunt Meg has a Stage 4 Cervical Cancer and we didn't even noticed that there's something wrong with her. Uncle John told us that she decided to commit suicide too but he stopped her and Aunt Meg told him not to tell anyone of us. It breaks my heart that she's going through a lot of shit for a year and we didn't even helped her.

My phone vibrated on my hands and I looked down to see Luke's number flashing on the screen. Debating whether or not to answer his call, mum went inside my room.

"Why won't you answer that?" she asked me as she sat down beside me on the couch.

"I don't know." I answered her honestly.

"Maybe you should tell him that we are staying here for good. He's your best friend Danielle, he should know." she said and patted my back before exiting the room.

I sighed before answering his call. I placed it beside my ear and listened to his deep, raspy voice that I wouldn't hear in person anymore.

"Danielle, I've been calling you. I'm really worried about you." he said with a sincere voice. As I heard his voice and those words, my tears started falling down on my cheeks. He heard my sobs and I quickly wiped my tears away.

"Why are you crying?" he asked.

"Luke," I said with a sob.

"Yeah?" he asked, his tone worried.

"My mum and dad," I sobbed again. "deciced to," I wiped my tears before saying the words. "stay here in the Philippines for good."

He didn't said anything. All I could hear is his heavy breathing in the other end of the line.

"When are you coming back?" he asked me.

"I don't know. But I promise, we will meet again soon okay?" I told him.

"We will." I can hear his sob while saying those words.

"Don't ever forget me Danielle or else I'm going there to make you remember me." he teased and I slightly chuckled.

"Let's rephrase that," I started. "Lucas Robert Hemmings, don't ever forget me or else I'm going there and kick your crotch for you to remember me." I warned and he guffawed.

"Yes ma'am," he said.

We went silent for a moment. His heavy breathing, my ceaseless tears and our heart breaking are only heard and felt.

"I will love you wherever you are." he said after a million years.

"I will love you wherever you are." I repeated with a sob.

I looked at my phone and turned it on to speakerphone.

"Goodbye," we both said in chorus and we ended the call...

And that was it. That was our goodbyes.

But our promise, that we will still love each other wherever we are, is a promise that I will treasure even if he forgets me.

....

"Wear this," mum said, carrying a white dress that I will wear for Aunt Meg's funeral.

"Okay, thanks." I smiled at her. She smiled back at me and left the room.

After wearing the dress, I walked into the mirror and looked at my reflection.

Dark circles under my eyes, my white complexion making them more visible, my eyes are swollen and my hair is neatly combed.