And Expectations

"Don't light the place up," Finn says to me for third time. I level my most intimidating glare at him and he finally shuts up.

Rey shoos the children through the door of an enormous conference room, and a woman in a utilitarian flight suit leads them to a row of seats in front of the assembled crowd of dignitaries. I follow, dreading this experience. I try to dredge up Leia's advice on dealing with politicians, but it's been a long time and I was never good at it. It takes too much patience. 

The leaders of the galaxy finally made some good choices. They now meet on a ship designed solely for the purpose of diplomacy, instead of in a known, static location on some planet. They realize not everyone loves them, and that they will be targeted. I'm a little surprised by the security measures they've established. The ship is ready to jump within seconds, its location moves on a daily basis with coordinates sent on a last minute basis, and no one on the ship is armed. There are still ways to kill them, but I keep that to myself. 

The leader of the meeting, a tall, heavy-set woman in her middle years nods to us tersely and motions for Rey and I to join her in seats facing the dignitaries. I stifle a groan and sit where she requested. The children face us, their eyes wide and discomfort obvious. Poor kids. They might not have understood what Carias was doing with them, but he provided for them and was the most fatherly figure many of them could remember. 

"I'm Tarana," says the big woman. "I'm the Speaker. If you want to say anything, just raise your hand. I thought we'd start by hearing your story. Most here only know rumors and hearsay, and that's no way to begin our relationship." 

She waits expectantly, and I look to Rey. She nods for me to speak. So I do. I tell them the short and sweet version I shared on the Falcon. All eyes are on me, and there isn't a sound in the room. When I finish, I sit, and wait for them to find their footing. 

"And this is true?" says Tarana to Rey. 

Rey's head snaps up in surprise. I grit my teeth. "She's not questioning my character, at least not exactly. She more wants to know if you agree with what I said. It wasn't rude, though she could have said it better. Just answer her." 

"Yes, Speaker Tarana," says Rey, her voice steady. 

"Very well," says Tarana. "We would like to discuss expectations." 

"We would be glad to discuss our expectations of the Galactic Cooperative," I say in as unassuming a tone as I can for such an interruption. Uncomfortable shuffling. Papers rustling. Coughs.

"I thought we were trying to be diplomatic?" says Rey.

"We were, until they decided to pull that shit," I shoot back. "We are here at their invitation. They are already assuming we work for them. I won't." 

"You misunderstand, Mr. Solo," says Tarana, recovering herself like only a trained politician can. "The expectations are for yourself, Rey, and these Force-sensitive children. Surely you see how such power must be monitored, lest it fall into nefarious hands?"

"I don't misunderstand," I say. "You believe you have a right to direct the future. But you will not direct mine. Nor any user of the Force." 

"For the sake of the Galaxy," begins Tarana, her calm crumbling a bit at the edges.

"The Galaxy can go to hells, Speaker," I say. It's dead silent again. "Do your job. YOUR job. Need I remind you of the mistakes of the Republic? There are no Jedi to protect you this time. You must now govern, or face the rise of yet another First Order. This cycle may continue. I hope it does not. But if it does, it will not involve me. I will neither defend nor oppose you." 

Tarana actually sputters. "But, you are Jedi!" She motions to me, and then Rey.

Rey smiles at her, and I see that sympathy yet again. "We are not Jedi, and we will never be," says Rey. I'm so proud of how confident and calm she sounds, though I can feel that she is anything but. 

A man stands, his hands thrown up in frustration. "But you defeated the First Order!" he yells. "How are you not Jedi?"

"Because the last Jedi died when Luke Skywalker took his final breath," says Rey. "I will not pursue that path. Neither will Ben. These children may choose to, but there is no one to teach them. We will not be involved in politics."

"But why?" says the man, his voice almost a whisper. I feel for him. He was expecting Jedi, and got, well, us instead. 

Rey glances at me, and I nod for her to continue. Her brand of "say it nicely so people won't want to fight" seems to be working better than my very opposite policy.

"The Jedi committed to using the light side of the Force. Neither Ben nor I use it in exclusion. We both use the dark side as well." Gasps, though she ignores them and pushes on. "There are two sides of the Force, and to exclude one fosters festering and strife in the other. We have to embrace both, and we have to stay out of world building. We will not enforce your policies and provide a backbone to your government. You must do that yourselves."

"And you expect us to simply let you walk away and do as you please?" says Tarana.

"Do you have a choice?" replies Rey. 

The woman purses her lips, and I take that moment to send Rey an image of what I plan to do with her once we're alone again. I'm rewarded with a glorious pink flush on her cheeks. 

"No," says Tarana, to the open disagreement of some of those gathered. "I don't suppose we do." 

"Then let me detail our expectations," I say, and am pleased to see I finally have their attention.