Chapter 6: The Haircut of Mischief

(Caroline's P.O.V.)

If there was one thing that could always make me get up no matter how tired I was, it was food.

The next day, I was already up and making breakfast when I heard a shuffling from our narrow corridor. It was followed by a very British swearing, for my male guest had probably stubbed his toe against the shoe cabinet. Tom had woken up and followed the smell of scrambled egg into the kitchen. I knew what it was like to wake up and starve to death till the breakfast got ready, and I didn't want him to put up with that feeling.

Corrupted. Told you.

"Good morning, Lady Caroline." He said sleepily and bowed his head. I blushed at his sight.

"Good morning To - Gosh, what happened to your hair?" I responded laughing. I couldn't help myself, his jet black hair was a mess and stuck out in every direction. It was so incredibly cute to look at and I caught myself wanting to rumple it.

But I had a better idea.

"Um, Tom... I just figured, um, I could cut your hair shorter, of course only if you want to. I know it's sometimes uncomfortable to have it so long and who knows, maybe you want a new style too?" The imagination of me cutting his silky hair... Dear me, this would be beautiful. Corrupted and demoniac!

"A new style?" He laughed at my expression. "Are you sure that you know how to cut men's hair?" He was trying to tease me, but cocked his head to the right and winked. "Agreed, please do so. It really is troublesome."

I smiled in joy. I had a new Barbie doll!

"Okay, then. After breakfast. Come on, don't you want to take a seat and feast with me, Sir Tom?"

"I would like nothing better, Lady Caroline." He replied with that damn beautiful accent of his.

We shared a smile, which kept growing until we were laughing hard. He made a deep royal bow and sat me down on the chair first, then he took the seat facing me.

We ate, annoyed Xenia by having breakfast without her, laughed until she was pissed off beyond imagination and entered the living room. Meanwhile, the living room was perfectly cleaned up despite the hole in the roof. The repairmen had already started fixing it, and to our luck, it didn't rain.

To be honest, I had cut various lectures by then but could've never left Tom alone. I would have to catch up later. Some things just had top priority, and Tom belong to those things now. One semester more and less, did it make a difference? People studied ten years, and until then, I had always gotten through every single one. It was about time for a time out.

I took the newspapers from yesterday and spread them on the floor. Xenia's lifestyle magazine was among them. Pshht. Tom helped by getting two chairs from the kitchen and placed one before the other. After much rummaging around, I finally found a scissors and a comb. I motioned Tom to sit on the front chair.

"Okay, now please take a seat there. I will sit behind you and cut your hair, in that way it falls on the newspaper, and we no wanna make a mess again."

"I shall obey, Madame." He really had to stop that, he was torturing me with treating me like a princess. It was so adorable. His expression was partially marred by the embarrassment which soared as the memories of that eventful night inside of him.

He sat down and threw his hair over the back of the chair. Now it was my turn to sit down, but my hands were shaking.

"Um, if I hurt you, just tell me, okay?"

He was obviously amused by my fear of hurting him, so he just chuckled. What was I thinking? What the bloody hell was I thinking! This was a stupid idea.

"Okay, then, here we go."

I took the comb into my right hand and slowly began to comb his hair, placing my left hand on the side of his head to stabilize it. I didn't know how Tom felt about this, but I felt both terrible and good at once. This is all so embarrassing now! I wish I would lose my memory...

Oh, and not to forget, the way he smelt made me dizzy again.

I didn't have to comb a long time, his hair was somehow in a perfect condition. After I finished combing, I gently took some strands of his wonderful hair and placed them between my fingers, letting at least three inches stick out. Somehow my right hand managed to take the scissors and approached his hair.

"Here we go, here we go...." Gosh, my voice trembled. Cautiously, I cut the hair that stuck out. The strands were visibly shorter now.

"Hehe, was that so hard?" He kept chuckling, but froze as I continued. I did exactly the same to the rest of his hair and at the end I combed it again to make sure everything was of equal length. Then, another ever so brilliant idea popped into my head.

"Wait a sec." I went to the bathroom and took Xenia's can of hairspray. Man, she would definitely mind, but who cared? In that moment, I certainly didn't. That made it even funnier.

I returned and began to spray and style his hair until it became a masterpiece.

"Okay, the deed is done. Here you have a mirror."

He looked at his reflection a little bit too long for my liking. I was afraid that he didn't like it, but - as always - he surprised me.

"Wow, this is.... beautiful. It looks so familiar. My thanks to you, Lady Caroline, for your hands are truly gifted."

He stood up and embraced me again. But this time, I felt his lips against my forehead. Oh my. I would've slapped every other person by then. Hard. With a chair. Twice. But I was petrified. Kept thinking I could never live without you by my side. Stop it! I didn't tell Shakespeare to get lost just to have her in my head now.

Don't you collapse again...

"Nah, it's nothing special. I have done that once before, and it's the only thing I can do with men's hair." Cole had lost a bet once.

He pulled away abruptly and faced me, but with a smirk on his face. The mischief played all around and on his pale face. It was frighteningly intense... and intimidating.

"Is it so hard to accept my compliment merely once, for Odin's sake!" We laughed, but both stopped and froze as we realized what had just occurred. We looked at each other for minutes, no one knew what to say.

"O-Odin?" I asked quietly.

"Yes, Odin." He confirmed with a straight face.

"Tom? I think we should do some researches. It might help us to find out who you really are."