Chapter 26: Cold

(Caroline's P.O.V.)

I awoke finding myself in an ice palace. The air was so cold and everything looked slippery. The cold was such a nasty thing. Why did it even exist? On Earth, in the hearts of people? I didn't dare leave the bed I was in.

I hadn't gotten here myself.  I remembered the last things that happened. The pictures came to me slowly, and they were ominous. He had done it. He succeeded, he had abducted me and imprisoned me in here. He would force me to stay with him, to be his companion, the wife of a madman. His perverted acts would only become worse. 

I ran my hands over the bed, searching for the edge. That's when I noticed how huge this bed was. Almost the double of a king-size. Removing the blankets proved to be a poor decision, I began to shiver so badly I immediately covered myself again, cursing Loki or who ever might have dressed me in that silky nightgown. I could see the white smoke that was coming out of my mouth and nose when I breathed. 

This ice castle reminded me a bit of Elsa's in Frozen. If that's not enough to testify my desperation, I don't know what is. 

"Loki!"  I called out, my heart filled with rage. My hands were shaking, and not only because of the cold. I often shivered when I was upset. That's why my parent used to tell me to stay calm, no matter what happened. They could never tell me to calm down again.

Dark green smoke gathered in front of my bed, almost glamorously announcing an arrival. He just loved pomp and parades. It only then occurred to me just how much he needed overdue attention. A day wasn't long enough to count all of his issues. 

I sat up.  Lo and behold, I was right. Who would've thought. His tall, lean figure stalked out of the smoke and I could literally feel the smirk of satisfaction on his face. I hated him so much.

"You called, my love?"  He purred, sitting down on the edge of the bed. His hand found mine ever so coincidentally. As I tried to withdraw mine, his grip got stronger. He wouldn't let me go, both physically and in a transferred sense. Since it was only my hand, I decided to remain calm. It didn't change the fact thought that I already felt violated. My palm got sweaty.

"Why did you bring me here? Where am I?"  I questioned, getting aggressive from his grin.

"If you are referring to the realm you are on, then let me assure you we never left Midgard. And this, my dear..." He waved his hand and gazed at the icy chandelier, pleased with his work. "... is my temporary castle I built while you where sleeping."  He answered like he was talking about the weather.

"Let's not waste our time. Spit it out, what do you want from me?" 

His face darkened into a cold mask of contempt and anger. He raised his hand, wanting nothing more but to leave another red mark on my cheek. What a coward he was. I closed my eyes instinctively. Alas, the sound of flesh against flesh didn't resonate in this gigantic hall. He had stopped himself and inhaled deeply, closing his eyes. He lowered his hand and spoke to me, intimidatingly calm.

"What I want from you is simple, I want you to give me your love. Be my queen, and give me your heart to consume for eternity." 

"I'd rather cut it out and throw it at you, hoping you'll fucking choke on it."

"You are far feistier than I believed, my dear Caroline. But your vulgarity does not change my mind. My wish remains."

I gulped, so disgusted by his request it was me who'd throw up any moment. Me? Love him? The one who took everything from me? 

"How am I supposed to love you?"  I spat, but it was no more than a soft whisper. My questions was serious and sincere. "I could never love you. I could never love the one who didn't hesitate to kill everyone I loved."