Chapter 14: Wrath

(Caroline's P.O.V)

Xenia's birthday had been days ago by then and I was overjoyed by Tom and her getting along so well. It was like a burden was lifted from my shoulders, now that my two dearest friends liked each other, now that I didn't have to take sides anymore. We were all on the same side.

That night, we all sat together on the couch and watched a movie. Tom was always so sentimental and took them way too serious. Xenia brought popcorn,  which confused him since he had no clue what popcorn was. And of course, we girls couldn't resist pulling a prank on our male roomie.

We were coercing him to taste it, and he kept fighting until Xenia took a handful popcorn and stuffed it into his mouth. I was restraining his arms and Xenia kept preventing him from spitting it out till he finally swallowed the popcorn, choking. The moment of surprise had been on our side. His coughing sounded so much cuter than Cole's smoker's cough. We laughed our heads off and Xenia nudged his shoulder.

"Come on, dude. It's yummy, innit?"  She interposed with a grin like she had to laugh again.

Tom's face was red, and he was obviously ashamed that two young women were able to force him into doing something. Yet he began to laugh louder and more joyful than he had ever laughed. After he managed to calm himself, he admitted:

"I must confess, it was very delicious. But do not do that again... or you will pay."  He said the last part with so much menace, I was indeed believing him until his straight face turned into a mischievous grin and his hands approached Xenia's body. I was like 'omg wat he doin' until I found out.

He began to tickle her.

She screamed and hit him to get him off of her, but since giants were needed to hurt him, he ignored it and continued. Soon, Tom was chasing her across the living room, but again she had no chance with her short legs. In next to no time, Xenia was pinned to the ground. He held both her arms over her head with one hand and used the other to tickle her to death.  I took my mobile phone and started recording...

"Please, stop!"  She couldn't hold in her laughter and her screams. As a matter of fact, tickling Xenia was the best way of torturing her. I was actually tempted to upload this on facebook. 

"Say that you are sorry!"  

"Okay, okay!"

I was surprised by her giving up so early and easily...That wasn't Xenia-like at all. But I was wrong again. A creepy smile crept over her face, she spat at Tom saying:

"THAT YOU ARE SOOORRY!"   Then, she kneed him in the guts. He let go of her and held his stomach groaning.

"Next time you better pick on someone your own size!"  She scoffed. "We both know you can't stand up to me."  I burst out laughing at that, as the comparison was so grotesque. It was very interesting what his response would be.

Tom rose again and pierced her with that 'mentally-splitting-your-skull'- look on his face, but he was still grinning. He planted himself threateningly in front of her, showing his full height. Kind of like a peacock. What?  

She did the same and held his gaze, arms akimbo. Brave girl, I wouldn't dare do that. Tom was a giant compared to her.

All of the sudden, he grabbed her by her neck. At first I thought he was just pretending to. I thought he was showing off with his manliness, but Xenia's face distorted with pain and she tried to loosen his grasp on her.

"Ah!" Her groan sounded breathless.

And then the realization hit me. He wasn't faking a murder attempt.