Chapter 10

Dave and Karkat had managed to clean up all of the glass, and temporarily fixed the window by taping plastic over it. The two of them couldn't figure out what had happened. The glass was bloody, but they couldn't figure out why. In the end, they just both agreed it was probably some idiot who decided to try and break in, but failed.
        Soon after they finished cleaning up the glass, Dave got a call on the house phone. When he hung up, he looked at Karkat. "I'm going to John's for a bit."
        "Okay then, see you later," Karkat said, a little disappointed.
        Dave went over to Karkat and pulled him into a hug, then kissed him. "I'll be back later, " he told him, smiling and heading towards the door.
        "Okay."
        "Bye. I love you."
        "l love you too," Karkat said, watching Dave leave. He shut the door and headed back upstairs, grabbing his book, and started to read again. He sat there for a few minutes when he heard someone coming up the stairs. Karkat sat up and put his book down curiously. He saw Dave pass the door.
        Karkat got up and poked his head out the door. "Hey I thought you were going to John's?"
        Dave stopped in his tracks "I forget something..." he said, turning around.
        "Oh.." Karkat paused, thinking for a second. "You've been over at John's a lot lately. What are you guys doing?"
        Dave frowned when Karkat said that. "What? Can't I hang out with my other friends? You know, I don't always have to be here with you! I'm allowed to do other things!" He snapped, heading back towards the stairs.
        Karkat was speechless. He knew Dave didn't normally get angry like that. Especially when there was nothing to be mad about. He watched as Dave stormed downstairs, and heard the door open and slam shut. Karkat stood there for a few minutes, then slowly went and sat down on the bed. That was very odd. Karkat had never seen Dave act like that before.
        A few hours later, Dave came home and was completely oblivious to how he had acted earlier. He was his normal, easygoing, calm self. 

        A few days later, something similar happened. Karkat was in the kitchen, doing some dishes, when Dave came up behind him and startled him. Karkat spun around in surprise and accidentally hit Dave's arm.
        "Fuck! Sorry, you startled m-" Karkat got cut off by Dave.
        "What the fuck was that for?!" Dave growled, shoving Karkat, who lost his balance and fell to the ground.
        "Dave, what the fuck?" Karkat said, wincing.
        "Holy shit. You're so over dramatic. I barely he pushed you." Dave's tone was harsh as he turned and left the kitchen.
        Karkat was a little shaky as he slowly stood up. He carefully looked out of the kitchen, and Dave wasn't anywhere to be seen.

        Over the next few weeks, Karkat was on edge. Dave was acting really weird. He'd have random bursts of anger, then disappear for awhile, and come back acting like it had never happened. Karkat was slowly feeling more distrust towards Dave, and as beginning to feel scared around him.
        Karkat was sitting in the living room and Dave walked in.
        "Hey, Karkat?" Dave asked.
        "Yeah...?" Karkat answered hesitantly.
        "I was going to go for a walk wanna come with?"
        Karkat thought for a moment "Um... I'm good. I think I'll stay here..." Karkat braced himself, waiting for Dave to get mad, but he just shrugged.
        "Okay, I'll just stay here then." Dave walked over to the couch and sat down beside Karkat, putting his arm around him.
        Karkat tensed up a bit when Dave did that. He stood up. "Don't let me stop you from going on a walk. I was actually thinking about taking a nap. I'm kind of tired," Karkat lied, heading towards the stairs.
        "Oh okay... I guess I'll go on a walk then. I'll see you later," Dave said, sounding a little disappointed he stood up and headed towards the door.
        Karkat quickly headed. He listened from the top of the stairs and heard Dave shuffling around, and soon the door opened and closed then everything was quiet.