Chapter 21

They all went downstairs. Karkat had a bit of trouble because of his leg, but managed to make it down the stairs. Dave lead them to the door and opened it. Waiting outside were all of their friends, but it seemed off. There were slight differences that could be made out. Dave looked around at all the people he noticed there was a version of Rose that was still grimdark and a Jade had was grimbark. He also noticed John, who looked the same, but his clothing was covered in blood and he had a dark look in his eyes. Dave could tell they weren't supposed to be here, and that they were not from this timeline.

Karkat looked around at his friends as well. They all looked like themselves, but there were a few things that were off. Karkat also noticed there wasn't another version of himself, and was puzzled by this. "I'm not here...."
Dave smiled and turned to Karkat. "Well, I didn't need to get another version of yourself because I already have you~" He said, smiling and looking almost happy.
Dave frowned, balling his hands into fists. "Shut up!"
Dave turned to him, any hint of happiness gone. "Shut up yourself," he said harshly. He punched him, knocking him to the ground. Dave hissed in pain as doomed Dave turned back to the group and walked forwards starting to talk.
Karkat crouched down beside Dave. He winced and wobbled as he leaned close to him. "Dave, you need to run," he whispered, keeping an eye out to make sure no one was watching them.
"What about you?" Dave asked quietly.
"Leave me here. I can't run and I'll just slow you down."
Dave shook his head. "No. There is no way in hell I'm leaving you with psycho me."
Karkat sighed. "Dave, we need to warn people, and you can get away."
Dave shook his head again. "Karkat, I'm not going to leave you," he said softly.
"Dave, please. We have a chance, we need to take it. Please go. I..." Karkat stopped for a second. "I won't get killed. He wants me alive... so please, go get help while he's not paying attention. You can run right now," Karkat said, hoping Dave would listen to him.
Dave was silent for a moment while he thought, and then sighed. "Alright... I'll go... but I am going to come back for you as soon as I warn people," Dave promised, carefully standing up. Karkat stood up as well and nodded. Dave quickly looked. No one was paying any attention to them. He took a breath and ran. People noticed immediately and it looked like they were about to go after him, but Dave spoke up.
"Let him go! We'll kill him later! It will make things interesting!" Dave laughed as he turned to Karkat, smirking. "On the other hand, you, my love, are not going anywhere."
Dave continued running as fast as he could down the street. He didn't stop until he was back at his old house. Now all he had to do was get the rope off and warn people, and then he was going to get Karkat back no matter what.