Chapter 12

Karkat was blocked by a tree, so Dave and John couldn’t see him. But he could see them clearly. He stood there, staring, as the two kissed for a while. Eventually, John pulled away and left, heading down the street. Karkat felt frozen on the spot as he watched Dave turn and go inside. Anger slowly flared up in Karkat's chest as he quickly made his way over to the house he opened the door, heading inside. Dave wasn’t in the living room or in the kitchen. Karkat stormed upstairs and went to their room and Dave was sitting on the bed with headphones on, drawing in his note book. How had he gotten upstairs so fast? It didn't matter.
        Dave looked up from his drawing when Karkat entered the room and smiled. “Hey Karkat,” he said taking his headphones off.
        Karkat was trying to stay calm. “So, did you have fun with John?” His voice came out strained as he tried not to start yelling.
        Dave shrugged. “I guess so he didn’t really stay for that long."
        “Oh really?” Karkat said through gritted teeth.
        “Um yeah… are you okay Karkat?” Dave asked, noticing Karkat seemed upset.
        Karkat shook his head and just snapped. “Fuck you! Just... fuck you!!” 
        “What did I do?"
        "Dave, I saw you and John!” Karkat shouted, his anger boiling inside him. 
        Dave just gave a confused look. “Karkat what are you talking about?” He got up and stepped towards Karkat.
        “Stop! Just stop it! You are not getting out of this by playing dumb! I fucking saw you kiss him!!” Karkat growled.
        Dave still looked very confused “Karkat, I didn-“
        Karkat didn’t let Dave finish. “Shut up! I saw you kiss him! There’s no way you can say that it wasn’t you, because I saw it! Is this why you’ve been lashing out and hitting me?! Because you were cheating on me with fucking John?! That’s low Strider! Why didn’t you just fucking tell me you don’t want to be together anymore?!” Karkat fumed, tearing up.
        Dave shook his head “Hit you? Karkat I’ve never hit you, or lashed out at you… and I didn’t kiss John! I’m not cheating on you with him either!” 
        Tears started running down Karkat's face. “Stop lying to me!” Dave went forward and tried to wipe away Karkat's tears, but Karkat jerked away. “Don’t fucking touch me... just get out.” Karkat sobbed, moving away from Dave.
        “Karkat, please! I didn’t… I-I’d never… I love you!” Dave said, about to move over to Karkat again.
        Karkat backed away, clenching his fingers into fists. “Stop it! Stop messing with my head!” He growled in frustration, tears running down his face. “I hate you!”
        Dave stepped back, looking hurt. “Karkat…” Dave sounded like he was about to cry, but Karkat didn’t care by this point.
        “I said the get hell out!!” Karkat screamed, his voice cracking from crying.
        “Alright then… if that's what you want... I'll go...” Dave said softly, turning and leaving the room. He stopped at the door and turned back. "I love you...." His voice cracked slightly. Then, he left, heading out into the hallway.
        Karkat didn't respond. He stood there, silently trembling, tears running down his face. He listened and heard Dave slowly walk down stairs. He heard the door open and close, and then silence. All the anger had drained away and all Karkat felt was pain. He fell to the floor, sobbing.