Chapter 17

Dave pulled Karkat upstairs, keeping his mouth covered so he couldn't call out. Karkat struggled against him as Dave dragged him to the bedroom. He shoved Karkat into the closet and shut the door, then placed a chair in front of the door so it wouldn't open. The closet was dark. Karkat shakily stood up, a bit wobbly from the wound in his leg. He noticed a flash, and then there was silence. He tried to open the door, but he couldn't. A few seconds later, there was another flash and the sound of two people struggling. Something hit the floor with the horrible sound that everyone can recognize, but no one can describe without saying what it is. The sound of a body hitting the floor.

Karkat peeked through a crack in the door. He saw Dave standing over another version of Karkat, probably from a different timeline. Except this one was very clearly dead. Dave was smirking, holding a piece of pipe that he hadn't had before. A bloodless death.
Dave picked up the dead body and placed it on the bed, taking his knife and started cutting up the arms. Karkat felt sick. He backed away from the door and started and started banging on it. A few moments later, the door swung open and Dave grabbed him, thrusting a piece of paper and a pen at him.
"Write; I'm sorry. I wasn't good enough. I'm probably better off gone. Then sign it." Dave demanded.
Karkat shook his head as he heard another knock on the door downstairs. "Fuck no!" he growled, attempting to push past Dave. But Dave grabbed him and shoved him to the ground aggressively. "Write it! Now!" he hissed, bringing the knife up against Karkat's throat.
Karkats eyes widened and he hesitantly started writing.
Dave kicked him. "Hurry up!"
Karkat could hear the door open downstairs as he finished writing. He was about to yell for help, when Dave grabbed the paper and covered Karkat's mouth once again. He dragged Karkat up and slipped the paper into the dead Karkat's hand, and then dragged the living Karkat over to the closet once more. Karkat tried biting Dave's hand, but that only seemed to make him tighten his grip. He brought them into the closet and closed the door enough to hide them, but not all the way. It was open just enough so they could see the room. Karkat was still struggling against Dave, who rolled his eyes and brought the knife up to his throat again.
"Don't make any noise" he hissed in Karkat's ear quietly.
Karkat stopped struggling, letting himself go limp in Dave's arms. The two of them stood there as they heard foot steps coming up the stairs. Karkat saw the real Dave standing in the doorway. He closed his eyes, praying that Dave would think the dead boy was just asleep and leave. He heard Dave step Into the room and call his name. Karkat somehow found the will to open his eyes, and saw Dave rush over to the bed looking panicked. Dave picked up and read the note. Karkat whimpered quietly, feeling guilty as Dave dropped the note and checked the dead Karkat's pulse, then back away in horror. Dave had started to cry, and all Karkat wanted to do was go to him and assure him he was alive. He wished he could explain this madness. He started struggling against doomed Dave, wanting desperately to get to his Dave, not caring by this point if he got hurt.