Chapter 20

A week later
October 25, 2017
Julliard School

Solána

" What brings you to my office Ms. Rowe ?" Mrs. Reed clasps her hands in front of me, setting them on her wooden desk.

     Her desk was filled with writing utensils, different college brochures, and personal photos in colorful picture frames.

   Behind her were two wide bookcases filled with educational books I had no interest in. I came here for one thing.

" I wanted to talk to you about switching a class." I answer, politely.

"And can I ask why you'd like to switch your class?" She sent me a fake smile.

Ms. Reed was a heavyset black woman with medium length natural hair she always kept tied back in a bun, with a two strand twist in the front.

Today she was dressed in a blue cardigan with gray pinstripe pants. Her big, diamond ring graced her finger, drawing my attention.

    "Because it doesn't contribute to my major nor does it interest me." I give her a simple reply.

    She clicks away on her computer, furrowing her eyebrows. Her nails clicking away on the keyboard is the only sound in the room.

    " So it says here that you have music , dance, history of dance, music theory, and theater. Which one would you like to get out of?" She says looking up at me.

    "Theater. I major in music, and minor in dance so that's not really appropriate for me."

   " Ok I can do that. But at this point in the year we don't have many classes left." She says.

   I roll my eyes. She was just being lazy and didn't want to do more paper work for me to join a different class.

  But I bet by the time I walked out of here I would have a different class , or else....

     "I'm sure there's something you could find. Can you read the available classes off?" I ask, giving her a tight lipped smile.

   She stared blankly at me before looking back at her computer. Bitch.

                       " Art?"

"No thank you."

                       " Music production?"

" Nope."

              "Orchestra?"

" Noooo."

               "Poetry ?"

   I consider poetry for a minute. It would be cool to express my feelings, plus poetry and music went hand in hand. The class would be an easy way to brush up on my songwriting skills.

Plus poetry couldn't be that hard.

" I'll take it." I say in a sarcastic tone.

Ms. Reed sends me another blank look before resuming her typing on her computer.

After another minute or two she stands up.

" I'll be right back, I'm going to go print your schedule."

I simply nod, occupying myself with filing my nails.

As she leaves she mumbles under her breath.

" Damn, kids."

   "Don't let the door hit you on your way out." I yell after her, snickering to myself.