Chapter 30

October 28, 2017
Afternoon
Starbucks Café

Solána

    " Welcome to Starbucks, what can I get for you today?" I plastered on the fakest smile I could muster up ,as the customer stood in front of me.

He was an older white man dressed in a Calvin Klein sweater , with a Rolex on his wrist. His appearance screamed money.

" Yes ,I'll have a large iced caramel macchiato , with a chocolate chunk muffin." He responded in a casual manner.

"Are you dining in or out?"

"I'll take it to go, please." He spoke with his hand under his chin.

" Ok, your total is $7.33." I rung his order up at the cash register. He handed me a twenty dollar bill and I gave him his change, and receipt.

" Step right over there, and we will have it out for you." I pointed to the area where customers were called by number to receive their orders. Since he was the only one in line I decided to serve him.

I walked to the coffee machine and filled a cup with coffee, milk, ice ,and caramel. After , I got a muffin out of the glass case where food was.

It was warm since the cabinet had a heater inside. I put the muffin in a bag then called the man up.

" Here's your order. Have a nice day, and be sure to visit us again." He takes the bag from me with an unfazed expression and just walks out.

" Well fuck you too." I mumble to myself as I sit on a stool in the front.

"What's got your panties in a twist?" I look up and it's my friend/ co worker, Bridget.

Her strawberry blonder hair is thrown into a side bun, and her green and white uniform is filled with stains from working.

Her thin lips hold an amused grin reminding me of someone...I can't put my finger on who it is though.

" Nothing, just a rude customer, nothing new." I say blowing air out my lips.

   " Mhmm, well what is new? How's life been?" She sits next to me on the neighboring stool.

     " School is school. Me and Marcus are good. And I've just been chillin." I shrug my shoulders basically giving her the rundown on everything in my life.

   My life might sound dull and uninteresting right now, but I was actually in a stable place. So I'm not complaining.

     " Biiitchh, come on there's gotta be something else worth talking about." She decides to pry for more details about my life.

       " Well...I made a new friend sorta." I think about Nokia.

     I don't know if  "friend", was the word to use for Nokia but it seemed like we were getting to that point. We both shared things about ourselves to each other.

    We just weren't at the point where we would hang outside of school or anything. And I sure wasn't going to initiate anything.

     " Tell me about this friend." Bridget looked at me with a suggestive smirk on her face.

     I rolled my eyes before speaking.

  " It's nothing like that. She's a girl, and I'm definitely not gay."

   " Mhmm that's what they all say. Before they get turned ouuut." Bridget sticks her tongue out at me.

    " Anyways....we're working on a project in poetry about love. And we kind of been getting to know one another."