Chapter 6 - Not All My Fault

Layla's  POV

"Braelyn Alexis Jordan, what did I tell you about opening doors?!"

"Mommy, daddy is here!"

"I am going to strangle Austin!!"

Austin's POV

"Why are you here? I thought I asked you to call first?"

"I came to spend time with my daughter, remember? You know, the child we had together? You keep reminding me that I missed the past four years, remember Layla?" 

"Now is not the time for your jokes, Austin! And, what is with the attitude?" 

"I just wish you would stop throwing in my face that I have not been there the past four years! Listen up, Layla, you are not the only one hurting! You are oblivious to the fact that you hurt me!" 

Ryan took Braelyn in the kitchen.

"What the heck is that supposed to mean?! I never hurt you! Never!"

She started walking away in a huff. I grabbed her arm and pulled her into the living room. "Sit down!"

"You can't just barge in my house and tell me what to do!" 

"How can you sit there and say you never hurt me! I am not the only one at fault here, Layla! My initial reaction to you saying you was pregnant was shock. But, the shock wore off and I was ecstatic. Before Sabrina left, she told me, "Go find her, Austin. She is pregnant with your child. You did both of us wrong. I hope to never see you again."

"I was ecstatic to be a father. I tried to call you several times the next day, but you never answered. Layla, I tried every day - calling, looking for you and asking to see if anyone knew where you were!!!"

"Well, what did........." I cut her off.

"Layla, shut it!!!! Now, it is my chance to vent!! Nobody, not one person, told me where you were! I tried so freaking hard to find you, but you blocked me out!!! How do you think I felt knowing I had a child but couldn't see her because you ran away?!! 

"I missed so many special events in Braelyn's life - her being born, her 1st birthday, her losing her teeth, first time walking, her first words because of you, Layla!!! You pushed me out and never gave me the chance to be there for Braelyn! I never expected you to forgive me for never telling you I was engaged. Yes, that was totally stupid of me!!! But, you assumed I didn't want anything to do with Braelyn instead of asking me!!!! 

"So, stop it now! Stop throwing it in my face that I missed the past four years!! The both of us are at fault in this situation!! Neither one of us can get those 4 years back!"

"Now, if you don't mind, I came over to spend breakfast with my daughter before your 'date.' I'm sorry for yelling, but you are not the only one hurting." 

She sat there speechless. I knew she was on the verge of crying.

Layla's POV

"I was so caught up in the fact that you hurt me that I never considered your feelings about me being pregnant. I did assume you didn't want to be around her. I am the reason my daughter never had you in her life. I understand if you hate me for that, Austin. I feel terrible.". I got up to go in my room and just cry my eyes out.

"Layla, sit down."

"I betrayed my own child." I sat down and put my face in the palm of my hands. Austin tried to hug me, but I wouldn't let him.