Chapter 18 - Is Austin Alive?

Layla's POV

Of course." So, we got out of the tub and got halfway dressed in our room. While putting on Ryan's shirt, my phone rang.

"That number doesn't look familiar." I gave the phone to Ryan and he answered.

"Hello. Who is this?"

"Hello, yes I am looking for Layla Jordan please?"

"This is her husband, Mr. Meyers.. May I ask who this is?"

"My name is Doctor Joseph calling from the hospital. Her number is listed as a contact number for Austin Mitchell. I'm afraid to say he was found beaten pretty bad in a alley Saturday evening."

"What hospital is he in?"

"Grandview Hospital. He is currently in a coma and in serious condition."

"My wife and I will be there shortly."

"Layla, get dressed. Austin was found beaten up badly and is now in the hospital!!!

Ryan's POV

Layla gave me the shirt she had on. After putting on her lacy underwear, she put on a mini skirt and tank top. I threw on a pair of jeans and we left the room.

"How are we going to get there?"

"I rented an SUV for us to drive around the island. We need to get directions from the receptionist." Once we got off the elevator, we headed over to the desk. "Excuse me, can you tell me where Grandview Hospital is?"

She printed out the directions for us, then we left the hotel and headed towards the truck. I programmed the address in the GPS in the truck, then we were on our way.

"I need to call Rachel and Dylan." Layla called them and told them what happened. They said they are catching the next flight available and coming to Jamaica. "I'll call Cris and Kam too. I'm sure they just landed in New York."

I saw tears in Layla's eyes while she was talking to either Kam or Cris. We arrived at the hospital and used valet parking for the truck. Before we went inside, I gave Layla a hug.

"He can't die, Ryan. Braelyn already believes he left her. If he dies, she is going to be heartbroken. Please don't be mad at me for crying. A part of me still cares about him, but only as a friend. I have no romantic feelings for him at all."

"It's okay, Layla. I understand. I can't be mad at you at all. You both are Braelyn's parents. We have to think positive. Come on, let's go inside."

I held on tight to Layla's hand as we walked inside to check on Austin. We walked to the lobby desk.

She was too nervous to talk, so I asked the nurse at the desk. "We are here to see Austin Mitchell. My wife was listed as his contact."

"Sure. I'll check to see what room he is in." The nurse checked her computer and said, "He is currently on the ICU floor. His room number is #8642. The elevators are down the hall to your right. What are your names so I can get visitor passes for you?"

"Layla and Ryan Meyers." She jotted our names down and gave us two passes. "His parents are traveling from New York. I'm not sure when they will arrive. Their names are Rachel and Dylan Mitchell."

"Okay. Thanks. Once they arrive, I will have their passes ready for them."

"We have a daughter together and she is 5 years old. Will she be able to visit him? She will be coming also, but not at the same time. She will be coming tomorrow."