The Travel

Millie's POV

It's been three days since I've died. I'm learning a lot from that book Noni gave me. Today she's redesigning the house to be more colorful and more spacious for both of us. It's still a studio with a ginormous window, which is great in the daytime. I still miss my family and wish that I could see them. Being a spirit isn't all fun. Luckily Noni will take me to the real world so we can see my family. I don't know how we'll get there.

"Okay miss Millie. What do you think of the home? Does it feel inviting yet?" Winona questioned looking up from her tablet. I look around at all the bright and pretty things. Everything wasn't all black anymore. The only thing that was still black was Noni's bed that was now pushed up against a wall. There was another bed as well, my new bed. It's a queen sized bed with a pastel blue comforter and pillows. It was a few feet away from Noni's bed.

The floors were laminated oak planks, no longer black. The walls were white bricks with crazy and colorful paintings hung around the room. The reading nook had a cream colored couch and brown shelves filled with books on either side of it with a rectangular glass coffee table in front of it.

The kitchen had white cabinets and drawers. The stove and fridge were like chrome. The apartment was beautiful. I smile at how fitting it is. It looks like people live here.

"Oh Noni. You did such a wonderful job." I said happily and watched her face lighten up. She nodded and admired her great work. I stare out the big window and watch the clouds float by. I was diving into my thoughts, thinking about all of my friends and family and how much they would all love this place. I have no friends here.

I stare up at the woman in a black dress sitting across from me. I let out a deep sigh before speaking. "Can we go see my family now? I really miss them." Noni looked up at me with a grin. She stood up from her seat and clutched her tablet in her hands. "Stand up." She orders. I pinch my eyebrows and did as she told.

Winona gestures for me to follow her. We step away from the table and into the center of the room. We sat down on the ground crossing our legs. Noni placed the tablet screen up in her lap before glancing back up at me. "This will be your lesson for today. It'll be a lot of hands on learning too. Consider this a field trip." She started before looking down at the tablet. I peer down too and pay attention to what she's doing.

She points to an icon that looks like a map. This tablet isn't designed like your usual iPad or anything, so it was a little confusing for me. "So this app is like map for the real world. To find a living person, all you need to do is type out their full name in the search bar." Noni tapped on a search bar in the top right corner of the screen. She typed in my mother's first and last name.

"After you type out the name, you search for the right person by looking for their id, basically look for their photo." She explains further as she tapped on a photo of my mother's face and it zoomed into the map. The whole town of Hawkins took up the screen. A little pin had dropped in a certain spot. "This pin is exactly where your mother is. When we click on it, we'll be transported to her location. Are you ready?" The woman asks.

I nodded eagerly and sadly. I can't imagine what it will be like to see her after everything that has happened lately. Noni warned me to close my eyes before tapping on the pin quickly. There was wind, a lot of it. I could feel it against my skin and hear it twirl around me.

The wind stops and I hear crying. It sounded just like my mother's cries. I open my eyes and we aren't sitting in the middle of the spirit home. Winona and I are sitting on the floor in the middle of a motel. I saw my brother and little sister sitting in a chair by the window with long faces. I look around some more and see my father pacing the floor. He looked miserable as well. I stood up from the ground and saw my mother curled up on the king sized bed with my sister sitting up beside her and rubbing circles on her back while mom cried.

"They're staying here while they're house is being rebuilt, but they probably care more about you rather than where they sleep." Noni informs me. I could feel my eyes flood with tears the more I stare at my deeply depressed family. I can't stand to see them all like this. "Take is back." My voice cracked. I was trying to hold in all my tears.

"What?" Winona inquired. I could hear the worry in her voice. My breaths became shorter and it takes everything within me to not cry as I stare at my mother in distress. "Take us back!" I scream and screw my eyes shut, waiting for us to go back to that house in the spirit world. The wind blew my tears sideways and my hair stuck to my face.

I open my eyes and we're back in that house that Noni designed this morning on her own using that weird tablet. I turn around and watch her stand to her feet with sympathy in her eyes. I jump into her arms, wrapping mine around her small waist. I couldn't help but quietly sob into her dress. I felt her arms around me.

That was awful. I hate to see my family suffer. If only I was alive again, but it's too late. I can't just bring myself back to life. What's done is done.

----------------------

Late update, I know, but I've been pretty busy lately.

I am trying my best to update all of my books on time, but it's a little difficult when I have school and a family that needs my attention every minute.

What did you think of this weeks chapter?

Let me know what you'd like to see in this story.❤️