The Punch

1 month later
Finn's POV

School ended last week. Today was Millie's funeral. Realization had hit me weeks ago that Millie is really dead. I guess I was in denial. Luckily I've found a way to fix that and I'm no longer in denial. I am worried that the next step will hit me, anger. Good thing I'm aware of the stages, so I could probably stop them before they even start, right?

Friends and family of Millie all gathered around the graveyard to watch her coffin get lowered into the ground after the ceremony we had. I cried the whole time. I just really miss her and I'll never get to see her face to face ever again.

Once the coffin that held Millie Brown's lifeless body was in the ground, everyone parted ways and went home. My dad put a hand on my shoulder, but I shrugged it off as I stare at the tomb stone.

'Millie Bobby Brown

February 19, 2003 - May 25, 2018'

She was just too young to die. Millie had her whole life ahead of her, but it's all gone now. We could have had a future together. She could have been my first girlfriend, but she's dead and there is nothing I can do about it. How could she die? How could she do this to me?

"Finn honey, it's getting hot out here. May we please go home now?" Mother asks. I clench my jaw and bawl my fist. She has no respect for Millie at all. "Just go mom. I wanna stay here." I grit. Nick sighs as he stands in front of me. "Dude, I know you're upset about Millie. Maybe if we just go home and then we can come back la-"

I pushed him and he stumbled back in shock. My eyebrows knit together. I was completely mad now. Millie's dead and nobody cares? That pisses me off. "Finn-" I push my brother again and punch him in the stomach. He let out a groan as he was hunched over in front of me. "Finn Wolfhard! What is your problem?!" Mom scolds. I ignore her and walk away from my family. The amount of disrespect they all have towards Millie's death is insane.

-

I was sitting in my room on my bed while my family was downstairs helping Nick. They seem to care more about someone who got punched in the gut than someone who is dead. I start to undress from my black suit I wore for the funeral. Instead of changing into new clothes, I slip under my covers and rest my head on my pillow. I decide to take a nap in the middle of the day to calm myself. My eyes flutter shut.

Blood trickles down my arms as the harsh winds around me swept up everything in sight. "Finn!" I heard an echoed scream. I look around, but there was no one there. "Finn! The wall!" The British voice shrills again. I look around, but I see no wall. I see the edge of the rock surface I stood on. I run over to the edge, but hit my head on what felt like glass. The red smoke was no red smoke, it was a wall. I pound on the wall with my fist as hard as I can. "Help! Help!" I scream.

I shot up in a cold sweat and inspect my arms. No blood, thank goodness. I was panting and my heart was racing. Everytime I have that same nightmare I get closer and closer to figuring out what it means. That Millie is trapped and she wants me to save her. But she's dead and I can't save her. So what is the real meaning behind it?

I grab my notebook from my nightstand and flip it open to a new page. I grab my pen and open the cap to write today's entry.

Day #28. I went to your funeral today. Everyone really missed you, except my family. They wouldn't let me stay a little longer just to look at you one last time, so I punched my brother in the stomach. They seem to care more about him than you. I care about you more than them. I had that nightmare again. The one where I'm in that scary place and someone keeps screaming my name. I think it's you, Millie. I think you're trying to tell me that you're stuck somewhere and you need me to save you. I don't know how to bring you out or where you are. Are you on the other side of the glass or are you stuck in the dark place with me?

There was a knock on my door. I roll my eyes as I shut my journal. "What?" I spat out. My dad came in and he looked at me in such disappointment. I stare down at my lap as he got closer. "You need to apologize to your brother. Why would you even dare to hit him?" He asked. I hit him for a good reason, he was acting like an idiot. They all were. I don't answer my dad.

"Finn, apologizes before I ground you." Dad warns me. I sigh and look up at my dad. "Bring him in here." I order. Dad raised an eyebrow, but obliged. He turns his head back a little. "Nick, could you come here for a second?! Your brother has something to say to you!" He shouts. Seconds later, Nick enters the room with a hand over his stomach. I take a deep breath and look away from the two men.

"Look Finn, you don't have to apologize. I understand that you're going through something, but just try not to take it out on me again. Okay buddy?" Nick spoke. I don't look at him. I only nod and I hear the two leave, shutting my bedroom door behind them. I lean back and my head hits my pillows. Oh Millie, what are you doing to me?