Chapter 8 - Spilled Truths

We pulled up outside of Adrian's house, it wouldn't be long before dark, you could see the sky starting to get an orange, reddish tone as the sun was close to setting. I love watching the sun set, something I rarely get to enjoy, it was a serene, calming sensation and I couldn't help but wonder what it would be like watching it with Cameron. Would he like it? Something told me he would and just the thought of seeing that child-like amazement on his face was enough to make me smile.

I was really gone for him but for now I had to hold back, for Kaden and especially for Cameron. He would get the break he deserved before he was thrown into the madness that was our world and I will be there by his side every step of the way, as long as he wanted me.

The thought had crossed my mind a few times, the fear that once Cameron knew he wouldn't want it, he wouldn't want me. It hurt to think about so every time I brushed the thought away but the fear was still there, lingering at the back of my mind.

Adrian shot me a look through the rear view mirror, I simply nodded understanding what was needed to be done. I wasn't here to mess with Cameron's mind and emotions, I was here to make sure he was okay, I still needed to see it for myself and after that, well he didn't say anything about not being able to spend time with him.

We all climbed out of the vehicle and made our way into the house, only to be greeted by Adrian's aunt with a rather concerned and angry look on her face.

Her face softened for a moment as she greeted her nephew. Adrian was obviously surprised to see her as she wasn't around much these days. I heard that after his memory came back his aunt and uncle decided to take a trip, travelling around the world. I didn't blame them; they probably needed the break after everything that had happened.

June hugged her nephew close to her, Adrian not even hesitating before hugging her back. All three of us could clearly sense the tension and all I could think of in that moment was Cameron. Did he meet her? Did she say something she shouldn't have? I wasn't the only one eager to know but we first let her have her moment.

The hug didn't last long before Adrian pulled away, masking his concern as he kissed June on the cheek, welcoming her home.

Only then did June's face return to one of anger, my eyes flicked to the stairs but before I saw him, I had to know what happened. Maybe he had just slept the day away but something told me otherwise.

"Adrian, sweetie..." She forced a smile, talking calmly and instantly I wanted to leave. I never knew June all that well but everyone understood how protective she could be.

"Do you want to explain why there is a confused young boy staying in the guest room? Or maybe you want to explain why he was left here alone, or why you didn't tell us? Or if you prefer you can tell me why he doesn't know who he is?" She was whisper yelling by this point, but quickly calmed herself down as she rubbed at her forehead, taking a deep breath.

Adrian looked sheepish as he ran his hand through his hair. Zach and I shared a look of concern as thoughts ran through my mind. I had to check on Cameron but I am not sure now was the right time. I had to find out what happened, hopefully June didn't reveal too much and where was Adrian's uncle?

"Sorry, Aunt June. We've had a complicated few days and with everything going on, I may have forgotten to tell you. I didn't know when you would be back so it didn't seem that big of a deal." Adrian ran his hand through his hair once again and June seemed to calm down.

"So what happened?" I mentally cursed as soon as the words left my mouth. It wasn't the time to throw the question out there but I couldn't force down the feeling of doubt.

"I apologise." I tried to speak more, explaining my random panic but Adrian cut me off.

"A lot has happened in such a short period of time and we are trying to deal with everything. Cameron doesn't know anything, so we are very cautious around him, we plan to tell him once he is ready so please tell us you didn't tell him anything."