Chapter 6 - Hope

The anger rushed through my veins, taking over my senses as I willed it to go away. I can't remember the last time anger consumed me in such a way but I knew it wasn't good. I'd managed to push the memories so far back that they were practically none existent but I knew it was bad. That's why I pushed it back, fought it away until I could no longer remember but just like before I couldn't fight it.

I took in the sight of the 4 boys as they backed away from me, preparing to run as they took in my appearance. It was hard to think but I could feel my eyes, if that made sense. It was like a strong overwhelming power and there was no mistaking the powerful orange that blazed in them, it's been a long time since I've seen them, other than the moment with Gabriel. I was in control of my body then, but it was like they came out for him. He pulled out the real me and that was terrifying.

Who am I? It's simply really. I am Cameron Aitan, child of Joseph and Susan Aitan. They didn't possess the same power I did, they were mortal, beings from Earth. I was different. But the doctors broke me a long time ago, made me afraid of who I was. It's amazing what several years of torture can do to a person, even someone like me.

Finally, the opportunity to be free, the chance to be me is here but I am too much of a coward to take it. Too afraid of the consequences but as soon as I accepted the truth, there was no going back, there was no more hiding in ignorance. It would all be over and at what cost? What would I lose and what would I gain?

I was quick to grab the leader of the group, taking a hold of the front of his jacket and pulling him towards me. The others ran, possibly ending whatever friendship they claimed to have as they left their friend with me. My defences up, ready to defend someone I had only known for such a short period of time.

How crazy, bad words for a stranger pulling out this hidden side of me, something I had pushed so far back but somehow everything came naturally, I was in control but I didn't force it back, I couldn't, something inside of me was refusing to let his words slide. I was in complete power right now and that was the only thing keeping me going, that and the adrenaline rushing through my body.

His back hit the locker as I slammed him into it, a gasp slipping from his lips as I watched his eyes widen in horror.

It was then I felt someone grab hold of my shoulder, trying to pull me off him. One of his friends returned, that made me feel slightly better, knowing they weren't all cowards, running away at the first sign of danger. It was almost enough to calm me down, until I heard him speak.

"Get off him, you freak. Go running back to your bum buddy."

Then I snapped. My fist hit his stomach, sending him flying into the opposite locker and temporarily taking my attention away from the other boy. He took advantage of that and tried to jump on me in an attempt the bring me to the ground. Of course it didn't work but I admired his persistence.

His body hit the locker again as I backed up into it, causing him to let go as he gasped for breath. Then I charged at the boy that dared to call my Gabriel in such way.

He crawled backwards on the floor, trying to get away but he was too slow. I approached him like a predator, before grabbing a hold of his shirt and pulling him up off the floor.

"Say that again, I dare you." I hissed, my hand going around his neck as I backed him up into the locker behind him. His eyes were wide but he didn't speak, I could smell the fear on him and I knew I had to stop.

My hand was only loosely around his neck as I tried to understand his harsh words. I couldn't hurt him too much, even if his words hurt me. That just wasn't me, I didn't like causing people pain. I've experienced true pain; the true meaning of fear and I wouldn't-couldn't wish that upon my worst enemy.