Chapter 26 - Promises

-Gabriel's POV-

The ceremony was a huge success, and we were all pretty excited about it, of course there were a few who didn't try to hide their dislike on the matter, but there was always the odd few who had something negative to say no matter the situation.

However, nobody felt strongly enough to try their luck with the King. Kaden took his own oath when he became the king, he swore to protect the citizens of Galtolga until he breathed his last breath.

The people knew he would never do something to put them in danger so they should trust in him even now.

Cameron wasn't here to hurt us, he didn't have a single evil bone in his body, he was just a victim of misfortunate events, but he was finally where he was meant to be.

Not just in my arms but here with his people, soul wakers just like him and friends that would always have his back no matter what.

I realised that Cameron made me appreciate everything I didn't even realise I had; I was so lost in what I didn't have that it never even occurred to me how rich I actually was.

So maybe I didn't have parents and when the broken state set in, I gave up on everything, but my friends helped me through what I didn't understand, and I didn't even know it. I would have to thank them one day for not giving up on me, for not giving up on us.

It had been a long week and with the ceremony finally over Cameron would have a lot of training ahead of him, but I knew he was ready for it, to prove himself, not just everyone else but also to himself.

I could feel how tired Cameron actually was, but his confidence had grown from his performance on stage, fire burned through him and he didn't try to hide his eagerness to get home and just the thought was enough to have me wanting to rush home myself, but we weren't quite done here yet.

"Cameron, trust me I want to get home as quickly as you, but we have to speak to Kaden first." I laughed as he tried to pull me along.

He turned to me and the pout on his face nearly had me dying on the spot, who gave him the right to be so damn cute?

"Just five more minutes, okay? And then we can go home and once we get there, you're all mine." I whispered, watching the hairs stand up at the back of his neck and a beautiful shiver wrack his body.

But before his true eyes could come through, we were interrupted by Kaden who cleared his throat with almost an apologetic smile.

"Sorry to interrupt, I thought you would like to know that everything has passed through smoothly and you shouldn't have any problems but if you do please don't hesitate to tell me. There are still people around here who don't like change, but I wouldn't take it to heart, they were the same way when I became king, but it is something they will just have to get used to.

Congratulations by the way, your speech really filled peoples' hearts and I could see the looks of admiration and courage as they gazed upon you, honestly I do not think it could have gone any better and that is all thanks to you, Cameron." Kaden stood strong as he addressed Cameron, but it was kind of sad how normal it had become to see Kaden looking so tired, but I guess that was just one of the burdens the king had to carry.

"Thank you, sir." Cameron smiled; his hand still laced firmly with mine as pride swelled in my heart.

"Honestly, I don't know how you do that all the time, having so many eyes looking at you, putting their faith in you is terrifying but I meant what I said, I don't plan on letting them down, I will try my hardest, Kaden."

"I know you will." Kaden smiled, his hand falling onto my keeper's shoulder. "I put my faith in you but don't worry too much, you won't have to face any more battles alone, from now on you will always have somebody by your side, no matter what enemy you may find yourself facing."