Chapter 10 - Promises

-Gabriel's POV-

The shock was still strong as I forced myself to walk down the stairs instead of leading the boy behind me back to his room and once again losing myself in him. I don't know where the courage came from, but I wasn't complaining, I couldn't quite shake the thought or feeling out my mind, he was like a completely different person, was that his true self?

He only ever seemed to act like that when his true eyes were on display, not that he did that often, no that was a complete surprise for me and one I would happily experience time and time again, but what I did notice was he became more confident, more in control and more...powerful? It was like his soul was a different part of him, a stronger and more aware side but that could mean he is separated from his soul and that couldn't be a good thing, could it?

Even still I couldn't even begin to explain how much I love his eyes, it's like staring into a pool of pure passion, I still couldn't understand why his eyes were that colour and Kaden wasn't letting onto anything just yet so I guess I'll just have to be patient. Cameron needed me right now and I'll be damned if I let him down, I must also admit...I need him too.

The truth is I was simply being strong for Cameron, but my head aches and my heart is pounding against my chest, almost eager to escape. But that kiss...it awakened something inside of me, a part of our souls connected with the kiss, something I should have warned Cameron about but how could I have ever seen that coming? Would he mind? Would he let me connect with him, even a little bit? My soul ached for it, but how it that possible when my soul broke a long time ago? Could a broken soul heal another? One could only hope.

I need to continue being strong for Cameron's sake while also keeping an eye on myself, I don't need him to know how much his absence affected me, how much it broke me. It was never his fault and he never should feel like it was and I will do everything in my power to keep him from thinking that way.

A smile kept forcing its way onto my face and I tried to force it away but no matter how hard I tried it was a failed endeavour from the start. My soul was happy, and I felt it strongly fill my body, mind and senses, I was lost in my keeper and I couldn't wish for anything else.

I didn't want people to see me like this, even if they were my closest-and let's face it, only friends. This would be something new for them as well as myself, but I knew they would understand.

Both Adrian and Zach had already been through all this before, Kaden however still hadn't found his keeper, people were still questioning that and I know it was secretly getting to Kaden but he did a good job at pretending it didn't. For the most part he was completely unreadable, only his true friends got to see a bit behind the mask, his true and kind self that landed him the name of king in the first place. Kaden really did deserve the title; we wouldn't be where we were today if it wasn't for him. He was truly worthy and we all looked up to him as not just a king, but as a friend.

Dinner was rather quiet, Cameron seemed lost in thought for the most part and I couldn't help staring at him, I knew he could sense my eyes on him but his eyes remained fixed onto his plate, I know I should have torn my eyes away but I couldn't, it was like my eyes were froze on him, unable to look anywhere else.

Adrian and Zach sensed the tension between us and Adrian being who he is, dropped a few snarky comments before Zach elbowed him lightly, causing him to pout before he remained silent for the rest of dinner. I guess you could say it was rather awkward but with my eyes fixated on the most beautiful being I have ever laid eyes on, I didn't really notice.

After everyone was finished eating, Adrian spoke up again, thinking it safe to break the silence that had consumed us for way too long.

"So..." He drawled out, tasting the atmosphere and the safety of words falling among us. After he deemed it semi safe, he continued his sentence; "It's been a long, dramatic day and I think we all deserve a break so I was thinking, how about tomorrow we all get out of here and do something fun?"