Chaper 1 - Reported Missing & Detectives

Chapter 1 – Katie Peterson

I sipped my water, sitting on my bed, watching America Idol—I remembered a time that Jessica and I just sat here in the floor making fun of the auditions; ah, good times.

I continued to sip my water, until the screen began to twitch and the screen read ‘Breaking News’. News reported, Frank Sommerville, sat there all seriousness in his face as he looked into the camera, “Good evening, as of Saturday evening in the city of Brentwood, local teenage girl Jessica Montez was reported missing,” I did a spit take as my water glass had dropped out of my hands. “Jessica Montez was last seen the Saturday morning of her sister’s funeral. Here is Claudine Wong with more details.”

I crawled up to the television screen, dialing Nick O’Riley’s cell phone—he was going to kill me for waking him up so late…but this was important.

I listened to Claudine as the ringer was still ringing, “Yes, as of Saturday evening, local Brentwood teenager, Jessica Montez was reported missing. Her current guardian—Jessica Jones—tells us that the last time she saw Ms. Montez was when they had arrived home that afternoon. She also tells us that Ms. Montez had told her she was going out for a little bit…but she never came back,” I tuned her out and heard Nick’s groggy voice on the other end.

“Hello?” he asked, clearly trying to wake himself up.

“Nick!?” I almost screamed, “It’s Katie…hey, you need to turn on Channel 2 News…RIGHT NOW!”

“Okay, okay,” he replied. I heard shuffling from the other end of the phone and I heard an echo in the background—taking it that, that was television.

I turned my attention back to the television and listened to Claudine again, “Please, if you have any information about the missing teenage girl, authorities ask you to please contact the Brentwood Police Department; back to you Frank.”

“Thanks Claudine,” he nodded a little, “Once, again, if you have any information about missing teenager, Jessica Montez, please contact the Brentwood Police Department. Jessica Montez is believed to be 5 foot 6, has long, dark brown hair, and had gray-blue eyes; according to guardian, Jessica Jones, Ms. Montez attends Heritage High School and was wearing dark skinny jeans with a ripped hole on her right knee, a long black sleeved shirt, and a pair of black converse.” I could hear Nick literally hyperventilating on the other end of the line.

“OH MY GOD!” he screamed, it sounded like he was crying a little too. You could hear it in his voice.

“Thanks for breaking my left eardrum, Nick,” I replied back, rolling my eyes.

Nick was silent for a moment, “ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!” he yelled, “THIS IS NOT THE TIME TO BE SARCASTIC!!”

I sighed; Nick was right—my best friend was missing and I was over here being sarcastic and just watching the news. The screen twitched again and went back to American Idol, where the three judges were laughing at something a contestant had said. I shut the television off and switched the phone over to my other ear.

“Okay, um, can you come over?” I asked, glancing at the clock—10:45pm. Shit.

“My parents aren’t home,” he stated, “I could take my mom’s car…”

“You don’t have a driver’s license, Nick,” I stated.

He groaned a little, “I have my permit…”

“But you won’t have an adult in the car,” I reminded him.

“I’ll make sure I don’t get caught,” he reassured me.